Skip to main content

Quintin Matsys

Quintin Matsys, from Wikipedia


There was a young man in Antwerp. And there was a young girl too. We don’t need anything more to begin a romantic story. And that’s just what happened. The man and the girl fell in love with each other. Passionately. The normal course would have been marriage and family life. But that didn’t happen. Because the man was a blacksmith and farrier by profession and the girl was the daughter of a painter.

‘I don’t want my daughter to marry a blacksmith,’ the master painter asserted. It was in the 15th century. Feminism was not even a thought-experiment. And the boys didn’t have all the fun.

Love has a unique power – the century doesn’t matter. Quintin Matsys was determined to win over the master painter and then his daughter. He sneaked into the master’s studio one day and painted a small fly on the master’s current frame. When the master returned to the studio, he tried to swat the fly only to discover that it was a painted one. The master was quick to find out the creator of that exquisite fly. He took Quintin Matsys under his charge and trained him. The young man became a painter better than the master. Needless to say, he married the master’s daughter too.

Matsys was a very laborious and diligent painter. But it is said that love was the real magic touch in them. His heart was full of love. Love can transform realities miraculously.

Since we are in the 15th century, and also since this post is too short otherwise, let us look at another story – this time fiction – from the period. The abbot of a monastery was very upset with the constant strife among his monks. There was too much nitpicking in the monastery. Grumbling and blaming. Discontent. The monastery that was once the centre of learning and spirituality was now a mere dark shadow of its past glory. Aspirants didn’t flock to the monastery anymore. The old monks went on doing whatever they liked. No, this is not the way a monastery should be. So the Abbot wanted counsel. He went to the sage living all alone in a cave on the mountain.

‘There’s the sin of ignorance among the monks,’ the sage said. ‘One of the monks is the Messiah in disguise and the monks are ignorant of this.’ The sage didn’t say anything more.

The Abbot returned to his monastery and told the monks what the sage had said. The monks began to wonder who among them could be the Messiah in disguise. Is it the Friar Cook? Friar Sacristan? Friar Treasurer?

Each monk knew the faults of every other monk in detail. That happens when people live together 24 hours for years and years. You know everything about everybody else – except yourself.

Who is the Messiah in disguise? It could be anyone in the monastery because there was no one, not even the Abbot, without a million faults and follies. Anyone could be the Messiah in disguise. So each monk began treating every other monk with immense respect. The faults and follies were overlooked. The good sides were noticed and appreciated. There was love in the very air of the monastery.

It didn’t take very long for the monastery to become a heaven on earth.

Love has a tremendous power to transmute the reality. Whether in art or in a monastery. Anywhere, in short. 


PS. This post is part of #BlogchatterA2Z 2023

Previous Post: Palimpsest

Coming up tomorrow: Rand’s Dreams

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Another lovely post on the power of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need some great fiction like that once again to bring forth the power of love~

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a beautiful read. I think since love can take us out of ourselves, it can help us see things in different lights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish we exercised the power more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful post. Thankfully nothing on politics 😀. But i love reading those too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    You don't need me to add to the admiration for the wisdom of this post, Tomichan-bhai. But I am here and saying it anyway - because I Love what you do! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a really demonstrative story establishing the power of love and the transformations it can usher in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plain fact is we can make the world a Paradise if we want. But somehow we end up peddling hate.

      Delete
  8. Love conquers all was our school motto. Great piece to read amidst the hate and war in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make love, not war - they say. And they do the opposite.

      Delete
  9. Indeed! Love conquers all! The reason why the powers that be hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very well painted enlightening stories. Indeed love has this transformational power. Thank you for encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love makes the world go round and it's good to be reminded of its healing and mending powers now and again. Love the post and this "You know everything about everybody else – except yourself" takes the cake:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived half of my life in communities, so I know 😊

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc