Skip to main content

Velocity in Shillong

In Shillong's Lady Hydari Park, c1997


I lived in the somnolent hill town of Shillong for 15 years. My teaching career started there at St Joseph’s School. St Joe’s students were, with the exception of a handful, Khasi tribal girls and teaching them maths and physics wasn’t a cakewalk. [I started as a maths teacher because that was the subject I graduated in first.] I invented strategies to make the lessons appealing and relevant so that my girls [it was a convent school – quite many of those ‘girls’ may be grandmothers today] would take interest in them. One strategy was to connect the lessons with the actual life in Shillong. I still remember one of the questions that I used to give in the physics class.

Shillong town bus takes half an hour to travel from Iewduh [the bus stand of Shillong] to Nongthymmai [place of my residence] which is 6km away. Carl Lewis takes 10 sec to run 100 metres. A sloth bear can run 500 metres in a minute. Find out which is the fastest among these and which the slowest?

I was a regular commuter and was quite frustrated by the speed of the town buses. The above question was intentionally meant to assuage that frustration by showing to as many people as I could that the speed of Shillong buses was far less than that of Carl Lewis. Even a sloth bear fared far better than those buses. The girls weren’t quite happy with my oblique mudslinging. They were all proud of their capital town, the beautiful, flighty and coquettish Shillong. 

Charming, but Shillong was a town without velocity. Not only the town bus, but the people also creeped. Inertia governed the hill town.

Someone from Himachal Pradesh told me later that the indigenous people of that state also lacked velocity. They take life easy. Perhaps, this relaxed attitude to life has something to do with the mountains. Mountains slow you down.

In his magnum opus, Funeral Nights, Khasi scholar Kynpham Sing Nongkynrih, tells many stories about the innate languor of the Khasis. One such story is about a government employee in Shillong who attended a meeting of the Association of Government Employees. “Yesterday I went to listen to the speech of our president,” one employee tells another. “What did he say?” the other asks. “He told us that we should always do our duties sincerely, a hundred out of a hundred. He explained what that meant. We should work 12% on Mondays; 23% on Tuesdays; 40% on Wednesdays; 20% on Thursdays; and 5% on Fridays.”

That was the velocity of Shillong when I lived there [1986-2001]. If Kynpham’s book is to believed, Shillong hasn’t changed much.

It really took me more than half an hour to travel the 6km from Iewduh to Nongthymmai by the town bus. I have read quite many novels sitting in those buses. Why did they do that, however? Why did they just keep the bus halted at every stop waiting for passengers whereas the number of passengers would be the same whether you run the bus fast or slow? The answer is: that was the Khasi way of doing things. Slow and steady; there is no race to win, however.

Unlike the relaxed approach of the happiest people in the world [Finland], Shillong’s attitude was far from a virtue. Shillong’s relaxation was lassitude, sheer inertia. This inertia is what prevented the state of Meghalaya from achieving any progress worth mentioning. Perhaps, today the state is doing far better. I can see pictures of Shillong town on various websites and the town looks quite different from the time I saw it last. Twenty-two years is quite a long period nowadays.  

Let me end this post with a quote from Kynpham’s book mentioned above.

Do you know who is progressing (in the state)? The ministers. And the people? They crawl. Ministers are millionaires; their children study abroad, roam about in flashy cars, party and drink, but the ordinary people? They don’t have even the bare necessities like drinking water, electricity, roads, medicines and so on….”

Kynpham’s book was published just over a year ago. That would imply that Shillong and Meghalaya haven’t progressed much from my days there. 


Note: I used the first name of Kynpham Singh Nongkynrih in the post not because I have any personal association with him but because the Khasis generally call each other by the first name. And I too called him by that name in the ephemeral period of my contact with him – a week or so.

PS. This post is part of #BlogchatterA2Z 2023

Previous Post: Utopia

Coming up tomorrow: Wherefore art thou?

 

Comments

  1. Yes i also believe in doing my work 100% That's a nice template the president put out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha... Not only Shillong's people, most Indians to this 100% work :)

      Delete
  2. Good read! I don't think any other country enjoys as many holidays as we do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    There are sleepy backwater places everywhere... here it is the Hebrides that has similar effects! There is beauty and charm in the surrounds; yet behind closed doors... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess so. Most people seemed happy too with all those lethargic ways. So i was an outsider!

      Delete
  4. Yes. Mountains seem to inject some kind of laidback nature in humans. My wish is to live in Meghalaya at least for some weeks. Your reminiscences in NE (That PDF I reviewed long back ) worth translating into Telugu. I will do it in future, If you get permitted me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meghalaya is more open to tourists now, I'm told. You can have a breezy time. Winter can be too cold.

      Delete
  5. Reading this post brought back so many memories of Dehradun in '80s and '90s...like you said the mountain air made you slow. Shops wont open before 11 and shut by 7, same went for government offices. The main market, Paltan Bazaar, actually shuts down on Sunday and not on a weekday, like other north-indian towns. Somehow I miss that slow pace, progress in Dehradun has only meant roads dug up, water polluted and trees felled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sluggishness may be an integral aspect of life in the mountains. I didn't enjoy it anyway. I walked kilometers instead of using the town bus precisely because i hated their sluggishness.

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed reading your article about the velocity in Shillong. It's fascinating to learn about the nuances of how people move in different parts of the world. Your writing style is engaging and I appreciate the personal anecdotes you included. By the way, for anyone looking to buy or sell a car. I came across this website that might be helpful: http://motormazad.com Thanks again for the interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed reading your article about the velocity in Shillong. It's fascinating to learn about the nuances of how people move in different parts of the world. Your writing style is engaging and I appreciate the personal anecdotes you included.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is carrying me to few old but good north-east connections I recently developed in my college. My room mate was from Shillong and was a Khasi....so i could relate to your story very well. She too shares the serene and easy going life their. I too travel in bus in this metro city so I could relate to every word there. I can relate to it in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When i started working in Shillong, the Khasis hardly moved out to study in distant places. Now the situation is entirely different in that regard.

      Delete
  9. I have many khasi friends from college. I wish I can make them read this post and ask their opinion about it. Also, Kolkata where I was born and brought up and did my initial schooling was equally slow back then. I was telling someone just yesterday that we used to have school at 10:45 a.m...can you believe that? Bengalis also like it slow, but not as slow as khasis, though. And of course, I must add, much has changed now. But when you say 'no inertia' I hear you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd certainly be interested to know your Khasi friends' views. Of course, Shillong may be quite different now.

      Delete
  10. I absolutely agree with you. That is one major reason i do not like going back to shimla. Many people think i am a traitor when i say the people in hills don't have the ambition or the will to work hard. I can understand why you don't like the years spent in Shillong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being so candid. When someone from a hill station says this, it has more significance.

      Delete
  11. I haven't heard word convent since my high school day.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Convent schools are still priced high in India. Not without reasons.

      Delete
  12. Beautifully written, Thanks for sharing memories.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know about velocity, but I loved the town, I was a tourist....it seemed to have a pace of its own. The music was super and the blossoms amazing, only the traffic was bad. I got only a day there, but would like to go back again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts

Queen of Religion

She looked like Queen Victoria in the latter’s youth but with a snow-white head. She was slim, fair and graceful. She always smiled but the smile had no life. Someone on the campus described it as a “plastic smile.” She was charming by physical appearance. Soon all of us on the Sawan school campus would realise how deceptive appearances were. Queen took over the administration of Sawan school on behalf of her religious cult RSSB [Radha Soami Satsang Beas]. A lot was said about RSSB in the previous post. Its godman Gurinder Singh Dhillon is now 70 years old. I don’t know whether age has mellowed his lust for land and wealth. Even at the age of 64, he was embroiled in a financial scam that led to the fall of two colossal business enterprises, Fortis Healthcare and Religare finance. That was just a couple of years after he had succeeded in making Sawan school vanish without a trace from Delhi which he did for the sake of adding the school’s twenty-odd acres of land to his existing hun

Machiavelli the Reverend

Let us go today , you and I, through certain miasmic streets. Nothing will be quite clear along our way because this journey is through some delusions and illusions. You will meet people wearing holy robes and talking about morality and virtues. Some of them will claim to be god’s men and some will make taller claims. Some of them are just amorphous. Invisible. But omnipotent. You can feel their power around you. On you. Oppressing you. Stifling you. Reverend Machiavelli is one such oppressive power. You will meet Franz Kafka somewhere along the way. Joseph K’s ghost will pass by. Remember Joseph K who was arrested one fine morning for a crime that nobody knew anything about? Neither Joseph nor the men who arrest him know why Joseph K is arrested. The power that keeps Joseph K under arrest is invisible. He cannot get answers to his valid questions from the visible agents of that power. He cannot explain himself to that power. Finally, he is taken to a quarry outside the town wher

Nakulan the Outcast

Nakulan was one of the many tenants of Hevendrea . A professor in the botany department of the North Eastern Hill University, he was a very lovable person. Some sense of inferiority complex that came from his caste status made him scoff the very idea of his lovability. He lived with his wife and three children in one of Heavendrea’s many cottages. When he wanted to have a drink, he would walk over to my hut. We sipped our whiskies and discussed Shillong’s intriguing politics or something of the sort while my cassette player crooned gently in the background. Nakulan was more than ten years my senior by age. He taught a subject which had never aroused my interest at any stage of my life. It made no difference to me whether a leaf was pinnately compound or palmately compound. You don’t need to know about anther and stigma in order to understand a flower. My friend Levin would have ascribed my lack of interest in Nakulan’s subject to my egomania. I always thought that Nakulan lived

Octavian the Guru

Octavian was one of my students in college. Being a student of English literature, he had reasons to establish a personal rapport with me. It took me months to realise that the rapport was fake. He was playing a role for the sake of Rev Machiavelli . Octavian was about 20 years old and I was nearly double his age. Yet he could deceive me too easily. The plain truth is that anyone can deceive me as easily even today. I haven’t learnt certain basic lessons of life. Sheer inability. Some people are like that. Levin would say that my egomania and the concomitant hubris prevented my learning of the essential lessons of life. That would have been true in those days when Octavian took me for a farcical ride. By the time that ride was over, I had learnt at least one thing: that my ego was pulped. More than 20 years have passed after that and I haven’t still learnt to manage affairs in the world of people. That’s why I admit my sheer inability to learn some fundamental lessons of life. Th