Skip to main content

Gandhi in Delhi on Good Friday


Rajiv Chowk is not quite the metro rail station that Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi would approve of, notwithstanding the splendour of its architectural complexity. The underground station has quite a few tunnels and escalators carrying thousands of commuters at any given time to their respective platforms on the Yellow and Blue lines.

“The metro is Delhi’s lifeline,” I tell Gandhiji who is visibly impressed by the sparkling cleanliness and systematic orderliness of the entire station. There is something un-Indian about the place. But the jostling is very Indian, Gandhi realises.

“Is the country – or the world, for that matter – any the better for such sophisticated instruments of locomotion?” Gandhi asks me. “How do these instruments advance man’s spiritual progress? Do they not in the last resort hamper it?”

“We are building more and more temples, and splendid ones too, for our spiritual progress,” I point out. “We are becoming a spiritual nation, a Hindu Rashtra, a Rama Rajya.”

Gandhi smiles wryly. He had noticed a lot mammoth hoardings all over Delhi which made many claims and exhortations and proclamations about various things such as Atmanirbhar Bharat, Achche Din, and Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav. The huge smiling face of the Prime Minister would not have escaped the notice of the shrewd man. Even the hoardings celebrating Azadi ka Mahotsav did not have anyone else’s pictures. Not even that of the father of the nation.

Does Gandhiji know that he is being erased from the country’s history? I wonder. The newspapers carry the information that a lot of history is being deleted and a lot of others are being added to the history textbooks of CBSE. The Mughals were already erased. Now Gandhi goes. Nehru was already discredited and character-assassinated a thousand times. Even his descendants were not left alone. Ridicule, sarcasm, direct assault on character, erasure from history… Strategies are aplenty. Is Gandhi aware of all this? I wonder. Maybe, it doesn’t matter to him.

It was not Indian independence that Gandhi had fought for; it was for an India worthy of independence. India of 2023, celebrating Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav, is just the opposite of all that Gandhi had dreamt of.

“Do you think the temples and holy corridors and other such constructions are making Indians any better?” Gandhi asks interrupting my contemplation. “Violence is increasing in people’s hearts.” He pauses with a sigh. “You know, a violent person is a lazy person. Unwilling to do the hard work of problem solving, he throws a punch, or reaches for a gun. Cliched responses. All violence represents a failure of imagination.”

“Chhattarpur station,” the announcement is heard in the metro train’s PA system. “Please mind the gap.” It gives a friendly warning about the gap between the train and the platform.

Gaps are aplenty in India now, I reflect. Gap between the haves and have-nots. The wealthiest people of the world are in India. And hundreds of thousands who don’t get enough food to eat. Atmanirbharta belongs to hoardings. There’s a lot of gap between the slogans and the reality. Between word and deed. Not only in the most polluted city of the world but all over the country.

I am taking Gandhiji to my residence near Chhattarpur. Gandhiji is impressed by the enormous statue of Hanuman in the Chhattarpur temple complex.

“His kind of devotion is what makes people noble,” Gandhiji tells me. “It is a total surrender of the self to the divine. As Jesus did.”

Today is Good Friday, I remember. What more can you give than your life itself for any cause? That was the question of Good Friday. Didn’t Gandhi do the same? He gave his life for a cause. The cause was not Indian Independence. Indians never understood him. Now they are erasing him from history.

“Please, forgive us the gaps, Bapuji.” I utter in my mind.

PS. This post is part of #BlogchatterA2Z 2023

Yesterday’s: Friendship

Tomorrow: Hurt in the Heart

Comments

  1. My favorite post yet! Indians truly never understood Gandhi nor did we ever deserve him. I imagine Gandhiji would have so many things to say about today and the world in general, maybe he's happy he didn't have to see this day...and yep Rajiv chawk is very much how you described. You know its such timing of this post because you mention Chhattarpur here, i recently took a trip to the temple with my parents in navratri and..i didnt expect to see so many sinners and corruptness in a temple. Well, Happy Good Friday to all of us, if nothing else, we get a holiday~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was working in a school near Chhattarpur for 14 years. So the place is close to my heart. Delhi metro has carried me to many places. This post came as a fanciful thought yesterday as I remembered Delhi once again.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful post Tom. You have summed it all so beautifully. There is a huge gap between the India Gandhiji envisaged and the India of 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The real tragedy is that the youth of today believe the new history being propagated.

      Delete
  3. Hari OM
    Wonderfully wrought musing on the Mahatma's stance. The news of the rewritten texts even made healines here! The heart breaks... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My young students are not aware of the real freedom fighters. They think Godse and Savarkar are the heroes. That Modi liberated India from the corrupt Congress (there's some irony there, no doubt). That India is the world's superpower...

      Delete
  4. We are busy rewriting history while the biased infrastructure 'development' progresses unbridled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our visionary PM knows how to handle both efficiently.

      Delete
  5. loved,loved the post Sir, I think this is the best one yet in the series. It quietly tells the point, without any hammering, and yet makes the deepest impact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Harshita. It's quite difficult to write politics nowadays.

      Delete
  6. Of course Gandhi wouldn't like today's India, or maybe he might can't say. Rewriting or omitting history can never be good i agree with you on that. I do not however agree about the Hindu rashtra point. But yes Gandhi would probably think like you have written. A post to think and debate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why you think that a Hindu Rashtra is not under construction.

      Delete
  7. Because construction of all mosques did not convert the nation nor construction of temples will. Not that i am in favour of constructing temples. The land can well be utilised elsewhere. Why one govt. is shaking the faith is strange

    ReplyDelete
  8. No government ever does. That's a utopian idea

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc

Victor the angel

When Victor visited us in Delhi Victor and I were undergraduate classmates at St Albert’s College, Kochi. I was a student for priesthood then and Victor was just another of the many ordinary lay students. We were majoring in mathematics with physics and statistics as our optionals. Today Victor is a theologian with a doctorate in biblical studies and is a member of the Pontifical Biblical Commission in the Vatican. And I have given up religion for all practical purposes. Victor and I travelled in opposing directions after our graduation. But we have remained friends notwithstanding our religious differences. Victor had very friendly relationships with some of the teachers in college and it became very helpful for me towards the end of my three-year study there when I had quit the pursuit of priesthood. The final exams approached and I needed a convenient accommodation near college. An inexpensive and quiet place was what I wanted during the period of the university exams. “What a