Skip to main content

Mona Lisa


I had been looking at Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa for a long time wondering why people admired that painting so much when Mona Lisa started talking. There is really nothing much surprising about Mona Lisa talking. My cat, Bobs, talks to me. The images of deities in holy places talk to me when I care to visit them. Sometimes a flower in my garden talks, the stream in the village does, and the cloud in the sky too. If you care to listen, even the grain of sand outside your house will talk to you.

You wonder why an apparently bland woman like me caught the fancy of the world, Mona Lisa said. I couldn’t make out whether it was a statement or a question. It was like her smile: neither here nor there.  

I wouldn’t use the word ‘bland,’ I said.

You don’t have to be so deferential, she said. Men hardly gave us any respect in our days.

Is that why your smile is not so… happy?

Was happiness permitted to us? Mona Lisa asked. Everything we did was controlled by the conventions that men set up. Even our smiles. We were supposed to be exemplars of chastity, modesty, sobriety, reticence and obedience. Leonardo tried his best to make me smile better than this. He gave up in frustration. He couldn’t smile himself, the wretch. He always looked like someone whose consciousness didn’t belong to him.

I recalled that Leonardo da Vinci was an illegitimate son of Ser Piero who seduced a peasant woman. But Ser Piero was noble enough to take Leonardo into his care. The boy found ways to educate himself and opportunities to develop his artistic skills. He was not treated as a legal offspring, however. How could his heart belong to him?

His heart was in the right place, alright. Mona Lisa corrected me. It was his mind that didn’t stay with him. His mind was always seeking something. Do you know how many times he made me sit in different places, in different kinds of light, before he started painting me? He never seemed happy with anything. How could I smile any better though I quite liked the man?

Mona Lisa reminded me of the Duchess in Robert Browning’s poem, My Last Duchess. A duke in Italy, Mona Lisa’s country – and time too – is going to marry. The poem is his speech to the person who is bringing the alliance. The duke tells the emissary about his former wife, the duchess who is now no more. Her painting is there on the wall: a beautiful young lady “looking as if she were alive.” She was a very gentle and sweet person who smiled genially at everyone. What happened to her? The duke “gave commands; / Then all smiles stopped together.”

The duke ordered her death because she smiled at everyone. Her smiles should have been reserved for her husband only. Reticence!

I shuddered. Did Mona Lisa’s husband demand the same? Was that the reason for the reluctance of her smile?

Her answer was another smile which was as mysterious as the one in the Da Vinci painting. 


PS. This post is part of #BlogchatterA2Z 2023

Previous Post: Leader

Coming up tomorrow: Nineteen Eighty-Four

Comments

  1. I had no idea of Leonardo Da Vinci being an illegitimate child. I wonder how much his skills would have soared had he been given his due respect!
    Death sentence because of smiling? This is utterly depressing. Part of the reason why I don't dive into the history of that era.
    www.docdivatraveller.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great people like Da Vinci initiated the Enlightenment. It was a dark world until then.

      Delete
  2. Hello, it is said that the Mona Lisa is the artist's self portrait. Also, I recently heard that the Mona Lisa was stolen ages back and finally returned, which did a lot for its PR in those days, making it the priceless painting it is. I have seen the original in the Louvre. It is much smaller than expected. As for patriarchy, it still exists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many theories and stories about that painting. Dan Brown alone gave us a lot to wonder about.

      Patriarchy still exists. As do so many forms of authority. People like to exercise power over others. We call it democracy or whatever. Nowadays I come across a lot of women who think that the solution to patriarchy is matriarchy: just invert the power structure!

      Delete
  3. Mona Lisa...I don't see the appeal. But also I dont have an eye for that stuff. It does show the reticent smile expected of women in that age, so to see that reflected in the painting does give it value but then again what was Da Vinci seeing...only he knows. But the legends and myth surrounding make it so interesting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Da Vinci had a lot of secrets up his sleeve. This painting was probably more than a painting.

      Delete
  4. This is a very beautiful writeup on how women in most societies are forced into subservience to men's whims and fancies. And what an explanation you have given for Monalisa's rather mild and dim smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Women were ill- treated almost all over the world, including India, in those days.

      Delete
  5. I've been to the Louvre (multiple times) and refuse to step inside because I fail to understand the fascination behind this painting and wait hours to catch its glimpse for a few minutes that too an unsatisfactory one.
    I'd much rather read a piece like this on its history, or read a book like The Da Vinci Code.
    Thank you for this 👏🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medieval history is alluring, I should say bewitching. The Louvre won't ever give you that charm, I'm sure.

      Delete
  6. That was a fascinating read. I wonder what Mona Lisa would say to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you two will have a far sweeter conversation. 😊

      Delete
  7. Lovely how you brought together Mona Lisa and My Last Duchess. A very interesting take on the mysterious smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved how you reflected upon the mysterious smile. I hope Monalisa too reads this and wonder what would she feel !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc

Victor the angel

When Victor visited us in Delhi Victor and I were undergraduate classmates at St Albert’s College, Kochi. I was a student for priesthood then and Victor was just another of the many ordinary lay students. We were majoring in mathematics with physics and statistics as our optionals. Today Victor is a theologian with a doctorate in biblical studies and is a member of the Pontifical Biblical Commission in the Vatican. And I have given up religion for all practical purposes. Victor and I travelled in opposing directions after our graduation. But we have remained friends notwithstanding our religious differences. Victor had very friendly relationships with some of the teachers in college and it became very helpful for me towards the end of my three-year study there when I had quit the pursuit of priesthood. The final exams approached and I needed a convenient accommodation near college. An inexpensive and quiet place was what I wanted during the period of the university exams. “What a