Skip to main content

Wherefore art thou?

Romeo and Juliet [PNGwing]


In Shakespeare’s notable romantic tragedy, Juliet hurls the question: “Wherefore art thou Romeo?” The meaning is ‘Why are you Romeo?’ Those who are familiar with the play will understand what Juliet meant. If Romeo’s name was different, their love would have met with no resistance. Romeo was the son and heir of the Montague family while Juliet was a Capulet. There is a violent feud going on between the two families and hence the love between Romeo and Juliet is not welcome. Juliet’s question, in fact, is: ‘Why are you a Montague?’

‘What’s in a name?’ A few moments later in the play, Juliet who has not turned 14 yet, will ask. That little girl who is yet to understand that there is much to a name will end up stabbing herself in the heart for the sake of love.

Wherefore art thou, Juliet? I am left thinking.

I turned 63 the other day. [Hitler and I share the same birthday!] Half a century older than Juliet, I ask myself: Wherefore art thou, Tomichan?

Why did Juliet exist? Why do I exist? Why does anyone exist?

Does life have a purpose?

Long ago, I chose to accept the existentialist absurdity of life. Today, as a senior citizen, I still accept the same absurdity. I haven’t been able to discover any given (by god or any sublime entity) purpose in human life in general. I do admit that there are millions of excellent human beings who live fabulously meaningful and purposeful lives, contributing tremendously towards the progress of human civilization, adding value to existence. Blessed are such people. They chose their purpose in life, I’m sure.

What we make of our life is our choice. Juliet also made that choice. She chose Romeo. She chose love, that is. What’s in a name? She would have been right. There’s nothing in a name where there is love.

But there’s no love, Juliet. That’s the problem with us human beings. We found religions in the name of love and then hate people in the name of those religions. We build up ideologies in the name of love for the nation and then go around killing people in the name of nationalism. We even kill in the name of love for cows.

There’s so much in a name, Juliet. Five centuries after you asked that question – What’s in a name? – the world hasn’t changed a bit. Name matters much. Identity matters. Which party you are matters. If you belong to this party, you can rape and kill, assault and plunder, with impunity. If you belong to that party, you can’t even crack a joke. So we keep changing parties according to the situation. We get paid for changing allegiances too. Fabulous sums of money. Dishonesty pays, Juliet. Deceit pays more. You died in vain as a child. You should have lived to understand human beings better. If you had, you wouldn’t have died for the sake of love.

I imagine you as a grown woman with grey hairs and wrinkled skin plus a lot of wisdom in your heart. Instead of stabbing your heart yourself on the realization that Romeo killed himself for your sake, I imagine that you accepted the tragedy with stoic resignation that wouldn’t have been hard to muster for a woman of your times. You would then grow up observing people and their follies. You would become wise through understanding the essential absurdity of human life. You would have gained a developed consciousness.

What makes God tolerate human beings must be God’s developed consciousness.

Wherefore didst thou die, Juliet, when nothing less than divinity awaited you? 

PS. This post is part of #BlogchatterA2Z 2023

Previous Post: Velocity in Shillong

Coming up tomorrow: Xenophobia

Comments

  1. Hey Tom! Aren't you being slightly over cynical today morning! Yes you are correct but there are things that signify love. Things that cannot be destroyed! The sweet melody of music, the precision of mathematics which I know you love! I do agree affection between human beings is a bit overrated and is not worth dying for... But what about love that is not tangible even in spiritual terms...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The precision of maths and the chaos of emotions, both are dominant in me, Jai. The idealism of youth and the cynicism of age too. I gave in to that paradox this morning.

      Delete
  2. I used to scoff at Romeo Juliet because i always saw it as puppy love gone wrong. 14 is a weird age, i was 14 not thaaat long ago. So i never appreciated the story for its message. But as you say nothing has changed. And though Juliet seems to have died for a seeimingly insignificant cause...in the present world there's little noble left to die for. So i agree. Stoic acceptance is the only way to accept. But even then, i think not everyone who lives upto the wise age has mastered stoicism to deal with it- Already I know I wont be one of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your self-awareness is going to take you farther than you seem to presume.

      I never liked the play either. One of the immature plays of the Bard. But Juliet keeps popping her head in my heart every now and then.

      Delete
  3. Really such a thoughtful post! Purpose of life ..I chose medical profession so that I could be of some value to the society. But after having kids, I feel that my main purpose would be to raise them to be worthy human beings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no better purpose than that: to make our children worthy human beings.

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    Belated greetings, fellow Aprilian... today I count off number 64! I would like to think I have become the crone you describe, for I certainly never fell into the Juliet format. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings to you too, Yam. You must be laughing heartily looking back at your life, I'm sure.

      Delete
  5. What an imagination! Sometimes, I too think what is the purpose of this existence...may be this should end and I should begin again from scratch so that I can correct some errors I made along the way. And yes! I agree, everything IS in a name, at least in the times we live in. If I didn't have the invisible 'Iyer' surname clinging with my name, I would have had so many more opportunities! That's just one thing...there's so much more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excited to meet yet another candid person. I've felt a million times that this should end and I should be given a chance to begin again. But we are condemned to this one existence, one form, one format!

      And the name too. I lived mostly in North India and statements like 'Ab Madrasi ka bhi sun-na hai' were too frequent.

      Name matters too.

      Maybe, i didn't learn the necessary tricks.

      Delete
  6. I have never liked Romeo and Juliet as a play. Them dying felt like a cop out. Like they didn't have enough courage to do what they wanted to do. They gave in. But now that I'm older and wiser, maybe they were just tired of always having to explain themselves and perhaps death felt like a release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a great play, of course, especially from a genius. And they were too young. Then those times...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts