Skip to main content

Kailasnath the Paradox

AI-generated illustration


It wasn’t easy to discern whether he was a friend or merely an amused onlooker. He was my colleague at the college, though from another department. When my life had entered a slippery slope because of certain unresolved psychological problems, he didn’t choose to shun me as most others did. However, when he did condescend to join me in the college canteen sipping tea and smoking a cigarette, I wasn’t ever sure whether he was befriending me or mocking me.

Kailasnath was a bundle of paradoxes. He appeared to be an alpha male, so self-assured and lord of all that he surveyed. Yet if you cared to observe deeply, you would find too many chinks in his armour. Beneath all those domineering words and gestures lay ample signs of frailty.

The tall, elegantly slim and precisely erect stature would draw anyone’s attention quickly. Kailasnath was always attractively dressed though never unduly stylish. Everything about him exuded an air of chic confidence. But the way his head shook impulsively while he conversed would make you hesitate about his apparent elan.

He could be ruthless in articulating his views and opinions. But he doesn’t mean to hurt you. On the contrary, there is a gentle heart beating below the displays of sarcasm that borders on cynicism.

Kailasnath stayed in a house not too far from mine in my last days in Shillong. Once I needed an urgent help. Maggie fell ill suddenly. It was an allergic reaction to a medicine she had taken. The situation alarmed me. Getting a taxi or any such conveyance immediately wasn’t easy in those days. Moreover, we stayed right on top of a hill, a beautiful place but far away from the benefits of human civilisation like the public transport systems.

Mercifully the phone was working. And Kailasnath responded. He could instantly understand my worry and assured me that he would be at my place in a couple of minutes with a taxi. “Be ready,” he assured me, “I’ll be there in a moment.” He not only brought the taxi to our residence but also came along with us to the hospital. His concern was palpable all through.

I visited him occasionally at his residence merely because I needed to talk to someone. He would speak about his latest experiments with Reiki and he did try to help me out of my personal turmoil using that healing system. It didn’t help much probably because he was still learning it. But his efforts to help touched a chord in my heart.

It was when I thought I had found a reliable friend whose heart was far more sensitive than his sarcastic utterances would ever imply, he told me that he was leaving Shillong. Personal problems, he said without elaborating. I didn’t probe either. I was struggling with my own problems and was in no position to help another person with his struggles.

Kailasnath and I left Shillong more or less at the same time. We continued to be in touch though we found our roots in two places far away from each other. A year after we left Shillong, I went to the college which Kailasnath and I had left. The purpose was to complete certain formalities. I would be getting some money too in the process: the provident fund, etc. “You’re losing interest” was the cryptic remark added by the principal in his curt letter to me which demanded rather imperiously that the formalities should be completed without delay.

I wrote to Kailasnath about my proposed visit to Shillong. “I’m not going,” he said with his usual self-assurance. “You’re losing more than interest,” I said playing on the principal’s words. “I’m not interested in interest or the capital.”

That was Kailasnath. Money and such worldly matters didn’t sway him. There was a kind of mystic that lay deep within him. Which was the real Kailasnath: the hidden mystic or the apparent cynic? That would be like asking along with philosopher Nietzsche: “Is man merely a mistake of God? Or God merely a mistake of man?”

Kailasnath visited us one late evening in Delhi in 2015. Maggie and I were packing our things as we had decided to leave Sawan school which had been brought to dust by a religious cult. There was no electric power on the campus. Power was cut off every now and then merely to harass the people who stayed on the campus. The religious cult, Radha Soami Satsang Beas or RSSB, wanted everyone to leave immediately. They had bulldozed all the buildings except a few staff quarters where some of us still stayed. Kailasnath and I walked over the rubble of the demolished staff quarters to enter my flat. As soon as he entered the power came on. We spent about half an hour together. The moment he stepped out to leave us, the power failed again. “I am the light,” Kailasnath said with his usual elan and sarcasm. And he laughed.

He laughed a lot. His laughter often reminded me of Mahabharata’s Ashwatthama. Did the last laughter on the Kurukshetra battlefield belong to Ashwatthama?

I am still in touch with Kailasnath. I know that he reads my posts. He drops an occasional comment here too.

When Narendra Modi became the Prime Minister in 2014 and some of my posts criticised his policies severely, Kailasnath expressed his displeasure. Wasn’t I being unfair to the new Prime Minister? Shouldn’t I give him time to prove himself? Kailasnath was sure that Modi was going to redeem India. This difference in our political views kept us away from each other for quite some time. Even now Kailasnath is a fan of Modi and I continue to be the Viswaguru’s loyal critic. Time has proved me right. But Kailasnath is free to continue to hope. After all, hope is the only thing that is left now in Indian politics.

Kailasnath claimed in one of his recent WhatsApp messages that he is a Hindu at heart and practises some of its rituals. In all my exchanges with him, I could never think of him as a religious bigot. I always considered him a philosopher who hid a mystic deep within his heart and laughed like Ashwatthama. 


PS. I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z 

Previous PostsA,  B,  C,  D,  E,  F,  G,  HI, J

 

Comments

  1. He sounds like a sort of okay friend. At times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh. Simple thing. Hope the 'ever unchanging' India, which never deceives its citizens in offering them a disappointment, provide an enlightment to this friendship. Hope the pair of chilly bajji and jinger tea bring the friends to get along once again. After all, friendship is far behind such barriers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the friendship will pick up a new vigour, it looks like.

      Delete
  3. What would Kailasnath think of this post if he reads it? Curious. The many shades of someone we know... its fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He read it on the same day it was posted. And he sent me a pretty long response via WhatsApp. He was amused though he pointed out rightly that I missed many subtle shades of his personality. That missing is natural, I told him, because my personal association with him was rather too brief.

      Delete
    2. Oh wow. Now I'm wondering... I refuse to believe he's a regular reader of your blog unless he writes you long winded whatsapp messages everytime you 'praise' the vishwaguru.😅

      Delete
  4. I liked this post the most. It shows more of your shade which never accepts anyone as friends until they agree to accept your disagreement with them on many fronts. You too have a strong conviction that you are always ready to give them the same freedom. Nice write up about an interesting person with no attachments for money (beyond requirements, probably?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This person is very unique, quite different from most people. What makes him special for me is his willingness to accept my differences... So you're right.

      Delete
  5. Differences in opinions is okay. We all are unique individuals so we should embrace differences rather than being angry and not talk. I liked his helping nature but this was not so every time. I think in one of the situations I too behaved like this. I am otherwise helpful but that day when my roommate asked for a favor, my reaction was very rude and negative..could be because of the stress of work and other things that were flooding my thought. Best was the connectedness. There is nothing more than being human and good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Differences are not only ok but they're welcome. We are all unique and we should be ready to accept the otherness of the other. All this present clamour for one country, one religion, etc is not a healthy trend.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc