Skip to main content

Octavian the Guru



Octavian was one of my students in college. Being a student of English literature, he had reasons to establish a personal rapport with me. It took me months to realise that the rapport was fake. He was playing a role for the sake of Rev Machiavelli.

Octavian was about 20 years old and I was nearly double his age. Yet he could deceive me too easily. The plain truth is that anyone can deceive me as easily even today. I haven’t learnt certain basic lessons of life. Sheer inability. Some people are like that.

Levin would say that my egomania and the concomitant hubris prevented my learning of the essential lessons of life. That would have been true in those days when Octavian took me for a farcical ride. By the time that ride was over, I had learnt at least one thing: that my ego was pulped. More than 20 years have passed after that and I haven’t still learnt to manage affairs in the world of people. That’s why I admit my sheer inability to learn some fundamental lessons of life. That’s why I live like a practical recluse. I say this openly because some people around me seem to think that it is my ego which keeps me away from others. No, let me make it clear lest another Octavian trespasses into my heart with missionary zeal. My ego died long ago, painfully but for good, for all practical purposes.

Octavian was a student for priesthood. Where is he now? I don’t know. If he became a priest, by now he would have been Pope Octavianus. And he would have written an encyclical titled Misericordia Dominia Nostri. Shrewd, Octavian was, if nothing else.

It is that sort of shrewdness that I never succeeded in learning. Is it learned or is it in one’s genes? I don’t know. All I know is that I tried my best to acquire this ‘virtue’ of shrewdness which is known by better names such as ‘social intelligence’ and ‘emotional intelligence’. I still remain a novice in that area. So I conclude it can’t be learnt really. It should be there in your veins when the universe’s womb spits you out on to this hostile planet. If it isn’t there for whatever reason, you are doomed to be clowned by Octavians.

Maybe, I’m being harsh to Octavian. Maybe, he was making genuine efforts to teach me the world’s ways. For example, one day he invited me to his room in the seminary. I was rather curious to see his seminary and its ways. When I visited his washroom, a notebook of his that was left there didn’t escape my attention. I appreciated the young man’s dedication to his studies which extended even to his washroom. I mentioned it as an eminent example in one of my classes later. Octavian was quick to draw my attention privately to my breach of trust. How dared I mention his very private habits to the public?

I learnt many such things from Octavian, the last lesson being that I was not really fit for the world of Octavians. His very taking me to his room and his leaving of the notebook in the washroom were all part of a preplanned game. Testing me and teaching me certain lessons were two duties assigned to Octavian by Rev Machiavelli.

Psychologist Eric Berne taught us that when we interact with others we’re actually playing games –power games, sexual games, competitive games, and so on. Most of these games are destructive and are being played unconsciously. We need to understand these games if we are to be able to take control of our responses and develop more fulfilling and secure relationships. I was too much of a clown in that playground of life. Octavian was trying to help me. Under Rev Machiavelli’s guidance.

It all ended up as a big farce. I didn’t succeed in learning those lessons they were trying to teach me. Sheer inability, as I have said already. Both they and I failed. Yet another lose-lose game in the world of complex human affairs.

Since we dragged Eric Berne in here, let me take something more from him. I’m still a child in the sense of the three ego states specified by him. Every human being has three key ego states: Parent, Adult, Child. You can behave like a parent giving instructions to others. Octavian, my student, became my parent. I was his child. The objective was very noble: to make me behave like the adult that I was supposed to be.

A quarter of a century after I released myself from Octavian and other self-appointed ‘parents’ of mine, I still remain a child in too many ways. Some manufacturing defect, I guess. Let it be. All that I can do is to keep myself far away from you. To safeguard you from me and me from you.

Octavian too appears along with Rev Machiavelli in some of my nightmares even to this day. Some people won’t leave you alone. That’s how life’s games are. 


PS. I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z 

Previous PostsA,  B,  C,  D,  E,  F,  G,  H,  I,  J,  K,  L,  M,  N

Comments

  1. Being trusting and open isn't a defect. These people abused your trust. That's on them. You deserve to have people in your life that treat you with respect and care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fortunate to have some such people in my life after I left Shillong.

      Delete
  2. "It should be there in your veins when the universe’s womb spits you out on to this hostile planet."
    Couldn't have phrased it better. I still keep the hope that there's a place for all of us in this world. The cunning and the innocent, for some unseen reason. But maybe thats just my ego talking or i too am unable to learn. But in that way i like to practice what some sages keep preaching. "Detachment" No one will ever be that important enough to hurt my psyche.... or so i like to believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have grown up enough to practise 'detachment'. For the rest, I decided to come to terms with the child in me.

      Delete
  3. Hari Om
    Falling into the parent role (without true responsibility) is as much an act of ego as anything. I have worked long with the theory, both for clients and myself, and what I have learned is that to be the adult requires a good deal more effort and self awareness than the other two positions. And it's easy to fall away from the effort...YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. To be an adult is the real challenge in that framework. So very few manage to stay in that state.

      Delete
  4. Traitors will not leave our mind. Enemies will. We cannot digest because, we can predict our enemies, not the traitors.
    //The objective was very noble: to make me behave like the adult that I was supposed to be.//
    So painful to read this. Hope the pain came out as words, offer you solace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learnt to smile at these memories, so they are more tickles now than pain.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc

Victor the angel

When Victor visited us in Delhi Victor and I were undergraduate classmates at St Albert’s College, Kochi. I was a student for priesthood then and Victor was just another of the many ordinary lay students. We were majoring in mathematics with physics and statistics as our optionals. Today Victor is a theologian with a doctorate in biblical studies and is a member of the Pontifical Biblical Commission in the Vatican. And I have given up religion for all practical purposes. Victor and I travelled in opposing directions after our graduation. But we have remained friends notwithstanding our religious differences. Victor had very friendly relationships with some of the teachers in college and it became very helpful for me towards the end of my three-year study there when I had quit the pursuit of priesthood. The final exams approached and I needed a convenient accommodation near college. An inexpensive and quiet place was what I wanted during the period of the university exams. “What a