Skip to main content

Joe the tenacious friend

AI-generated illustration


You outgrow certain friendships because life changes you in ways that nobody, including you, had expected. Joe is one such friend of mine who was very dear to me once. That friendship cannot be sustained anymore because I am no more the person whom Joe knew and loved to amble along with. And Joe seems incapable of understanding the fact that people can change substantially.

Joe and I were supposed to meet one of these days after a gap of more than two decades. I scuttled the meeting rather heartlessly. Just because Joe’s last messages carried words that smacked of intimacy. My life has gone through so much devastating fire that the delicate warmth of intimacy has become repulsive.

Joe was a good friend of mine while we were in Shillong. He was a post-graduate student and a part-time schoolteacher when I met him first. I was a fulltime schoolteacher teaching math and science to ninth and tenth graders. My dream was to postgraduate in English literature and teach literature to undergraduates. I had a passion for literature. My free time was spent with books of good literature which I borrowed from the State Central Library, Shillong.

I joined Kerala University’s Institute of Correspondence Courses for their postgraduate course in literature. It was same as the regular course with the only difference that the students had to do all the studies by themselves with the help of the study materials sent recurrently by post from the Institute. The assignments were sent by post too. At the end of each year, the students of the correspondence course appeared for the exams along with the regular students. The same exam, same assessment criteria, same processes.

I did well in the exams earning a place in a special souvenir brought out by the Institute of Correspondence Courses on the occasion of their bi-decennial anniversary. My achievement owed much to Joe who brought me a lot of superb books from the North-Eastern Hill University’s library. He was a member of the library by virtue of being a lecturer in an affiliated college. As soon as he completed postgraduation, he secured the lecturer’s job. He took the trouble to get me hundreds of books during the two years of my postgraduate studies.

Joe went out of his way to help me get a lecturer’s job in his own college too, a premier institution of higher studies in Shillong. Joe was the best of friends that one could get.

I was so happy to have got my dream job that I celebrated it too much. In fact, it was not a celebration. It was a bitter struggle with my own inferiority complexes and insecurity feelings which I had masqueraded as displays of superiority in many of my limited social interactions. There was also a struggle with my own inner emptiness.

I remember what another friend, whom I shall call Uriel in this A2Z series, told me once. “There are some people who go around wearing masks which are designed with great care. The masks deceive ordinary people. Others who see through the masks are usually silent about them. Or they may have fun behind the mask-wearer’s back. At any rate, the wearer has to confront his real self one day. The masks will come down one by one. And then the wearer will have to stand in front of the mirror fully naked and confront the horrifying reality in the mirror.”

The words are quoted from memory. They may not be Uriel’s exact words. But if I remember them so vividly, it means that I knew somewhere in the depth of my consciousness that I was the mask-wearer in Uriel’s counsel. Joe knew it too, I’m sure. But his approach was different. His approach became a big game in the end. He was not the originator of the game. One Reverend Machiavelli designed the game and got people like Joe to execute it. It was a well-played game. Its intentions were noble, I would like to believe. They were all trying to help me shed my masks.

Some masks refuse to come down. I became an alcoholic in the entire process that seemed to have gone out of the strategist’s control. Even Joe stopped talking to me. When he did talk because I confronted him occasionally, the conversation made no sense to me. I had become a shadow in a horror movie being directed by an invisible joker.

Eventually I left Shillong. I was forced to. I was 41 when I chucked a job that many would have died for. Maggie stifled a sob when I told her that we had to leave Shillong. Towards a dark future. Maggie’s brother who worked in Delhi in those days extended his magnanimous help. “Anyone can find a job in Delhi,” he reassured us. He was right too.

I started this A2Z series with Delhi. Once I settled down comfortably in Delhi, I visited Shillong to complete some formalities at the college which I had quit unceremoniously. The principal expedited the processes and my job was done faster than I had imagined. I had time to spend with Joe. But Joe was not interested. He avoided me.

I avoided him forever after that. Now, 22 years later, no word of intimacy can ever bring back the affection that was lost somewhere in the process of my belated and long-overdue self-discovery and self-healing. Because it is not intimacy that I look for now. It is the kind of integrity that psychologist Erik Erikson speaks about in his theory of human development stages. I want wisdom to arise from the griefs and bitterness of the past. I want to touch the light that shines – that I am able to see – beyond words, beyond relationships, beyond time.   


PS. I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z 

Previous PostsA,  B,  C,  D,  E,  F,  G,  H, I

Comments

  1. I find myself to be an onlooker to the happenings on the stages of the theaters amidst the incessant rains and numbing colds, outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were there in those days partly as an amused onlooker and partly as a reliable friend.

      Delete
  2. Lost friendships...in hindsight are just all of us in different stages of our development. Knowing that is a form of closure i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reverend Machiaveli, the strategist - Is he just a shadow or a fragment of your imagination? Till date, this claim seems to be unfounded since I read your autobiography Autumn Shadows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As in most posts of this series, Machiavelli name is imaginary. But there was a person or a group that organised certain reform strategies... Wait for M. After I wrote Autumn Shadows, I got more information on this.

      Delete
  4. I could feel the pressure beyond doubt; the storm raging within your mind. I extend my wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm at peace with myself now though I won't be able to accept certain persons easily anymore.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like it was a rough time for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those few years were hell. Now maybe i can go straight to Paradise. 😊

      Delete
  6. Broadvision World School stands out as a shining example of excellence in education. As one of the Best CBSE school in Bangalore, Broadvision World School has consistently been recognized for its commitment to academic excellence, holistic development, and a nurturing environment for students.

    https://bvwschool.com/best-cbse-school-in-bangalore/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc