Skip to main content

Geronimo the landlord


The name Geronimo is fiction just as most names in this A2Z series are. But Geronimo was real. He was my landlord, the only landlord I ever had in Shillong. All other house owners were women, landladies. Khasi men hardly owned anything except the bottle of drink they carried home at the end of the day. I’m sure the situation is different today. The change had already started even before I quit Shillong.

Khasis are a hill tribe that follows matriliny. The mother is the boss at home. The children get the mother’s surname. The father is almost a nobody at home. In the olden tradition, men had certain status as they presided over religious and social functions. With the arrival of Christianity, the priestly and sacerdotal duties were usurped by the clergy. Now the Khasi men had little role to play at home. American journalist Thomas Laird described the Khasi land as a place “where women rule and men are used as breeding bulls.”

Whenever I went in search of an accommodation, it was a lady who met me. Every house in Shillong belonged to a lady. The man may at best be seen bringing in a cup of tea or the ritual offering of kwai for the guest. The house in Mawprem where I stayed for a couple of years was different, however. There the man of the house was the master. Along with his wife and two children, he lived upstairs while I occupied the rooms downstairs. The boy used to come to me for occasional help with his studies. The girl was seldom seen outside. This was quite the opposite of the usual Khasi way. But the boy displayed his tribe’s true DNA soon by leaving his studies. His father didn’t succeed in persuading him to study and secure a good job in the due course of time. The father was a drunkard himself. He worked in some government office during the day and came back home in the evening reeking of cheap whisky.

The Mawprem region of Shillong had acute water shortage. This prompted me to shift residence to Nongthymmai. When I told the landlord about my decision to leave his house, his instant reaction was, “O my God!” I couldn’t understand why my departure should bother him. Later, I was told by a friend from Shillong that it wasn’t easy to get nontribal tenants in that area and tribal tenants wouldn’t pay the rent regularly.  

“He refused to supply me with sufficient water,” I said to justify my decision.

“Where will he bring water from?” My friend asked. He was staying just a kilometre away in Upper Mawprem. My area was Lower Mawprem. Both Mawprems were without sufficient water supply. Upper Mawprem was worse because it had a large Nepali population which the local government bodies detested.

There was a brutal uprising against the Nepalis in 1987. The situation was so bad that schools were closed for months and curfew was imposed on the town for many weeks. I lived in a vulnerable place where a lot of people were under attack because they were Nepalis. I saw men being beaten up on the roadsides. I saw people – men, women and children – being packed like sardines on to a truck and driven away. They were taken to Guwahati and abandoned there. Go away, you don’t belong here – that was the message.

“It’s not safe to stay here anymore,” Geronimo told me one afternoon. He had decided to go away to the place of a relative in Mawlai, a militant Khasi stronghold. He advised me to leave too.

Where could I go? I had no relatives in Shillong. There were a couple of friends one of whom invited me to stay in the hostel of his school until the situation improved. I accepted the offer but was bored soon and returned to my own residence. The whole area looked deserted and ghostly when I returned. Geronimo and family hadn’t returned. I lived all alone in what looked like an abandoned battlefield. Once in a while a police jeep would come. One of those constables would call me to the vehicle to enquire whether I was safe. I think the policemen made me feel more unsafe than the eerie silence that I had got used to.

Every now and then the men of Shillong would organise an uprising against some ethnic group. Nontribal Dogs Get Lost and other such slogans appeared on the walls. Schools would become refugee camps. Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel would carry out flag marches every now and then. People like Geronimo would seek and find safer places to stay. People like me would take the risk and leave themselves to the mercy of the night’s sweat that would vaporise in the lurid yellow sunshine of the morning. The so-called revolutionaries went around shouting slogans, attacking helpless non-Khasis, and dreaming about some utopia where only one particular kind of people would exist.

Who were these revolutionaries in reality? Men who were utter failures. Men who couldn’t make use of the classrooms. As Kynpham Sing Nongkynrih wrote later in his magnum opus, Funeral Nights, the first divisioners in academics become doctors, engineers and lawyers. The 2nd Divs become bureaucrats and control the 1st Divs. The 3rd Divs enter politics, become ministers and control the other two. “The dropouts join the militants and control all the above!”

Geronimo belonged to the second category. He knew where to hide when danger came in the shape of revolution. 


PS. I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z 

Previous Posts: A,  B,  C ,  D,  E, F

Tomorrow: Heavendrea

 

 

 

Comments

  1. I have been to Meghalaya and Nagaland. Such nice places. But unfortunately the region has seen so much of turmoil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now we can see a lot of people from Northeast studying or working in other parts of the country. So the situation must be different now. But the charm of the hills must still be there.

      Delete
  2. I want to visit Shillong... and North East... someday. beautifully described write up. Keep writing. ATISH (atishhomechowdhury.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do visit Shillong and other places in Northeast. It's worth the effort.

      Delete
  3. Hari Om
    Pranaams, Tomichan. I'm getting a chance to spend time with blogs this morning and that too with good signal 🤗 Please know I have been much enjoying your themed posts. I feel we really get to know these characters! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're here, Yam. You're one whom I wouldn't want to miss from this space.

      Delete
  4. Oh, maternal society? Kerala was like that once, right? I read about the clashes between different groups were picturized in Jeyamohan's novel ulogam in Tamil. Other than that I've not been exposed Southeast India. But you bring me Shillong visuals - frame by frame - with A2Z posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nairs in Kerala practised a kind of matriliny. But now it's not in practice.

      It won't be easy to change the system in Shillong because of marital problems. If surnames are changed all of a sudden, there will be incest!

      Delete
  5. Hi Tomichan. I'm from the Northeast (Digboi, Assam to be precise) and Shillong holds many beautiful memories for me. However, growing up, I have heard several stories of the turmoil there from my relatives who now have moved out of Meghalaya. Your post is very gripping.

    Arpita @ https://arpitamisra.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arpita,
      Glad to meet you.
      Assam too had a lot of turmoil. My bag was checked too many times at Guwahati railway station merely because I had a beard.
      I hope NE is much better now though Manipur rises in my consciousness as a huge question mark.

      Delete
  6. Wow, that area sounds very unstable. It's a wonder you made it out of there in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now the situation has improved much. Back in my days there, it was brutal...

      Delete
  7. Looks like a fire gone though the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The image is AI-generated. Shillong isn't as arid, in fact it's a pretty place.

      Delete
  8. Wow.. I have read books based on the uprisings in the north east. But reading an account of first hand encounter is something else. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are memories that I'd like to forget but they keep resurrecting themselves.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc