Skip to main content

Machiavelli the Reverend



Let us go today, you and I, through certain miasmic streets. Nothing will be quite clear along our way because this journey is through some delusions and illusions. You will meet people wearing holy robes and talking about morality and virtues. Some of them will claim to be god’s men and some will make taller claims. Some of them are just amorphous. Invisible. But omnipotent. You can feel their power around you. On you. Oppressing you. Stifling you. Reverend Machiavelli is one such oppressive power.

You will meet Franz Kafka somewhere along the way. Joseph K’s ghost will pass by. Remember Joseph K who was arrested one fine morning for a crime that nobody knew anything about?

Neither Joseph nor the men who arrest him know why Joseph K is arrested. The power that keeps Joseph K under arrest is invisible. He cannot get answers to his valid questions from the visible agents of that power. He cannot explain himself to that power. Finally, he is taken to a quarry outside the town where a knife is driven into his heart and turned twice.

Pause for a moment, dear fellow traveller. I need to shed a sigh for Joseph K. Is not his story mine too? With the difference that the knife that pierced my breast was spiritual! Metaphorical, if you are still secular. The knife belonged to Reverend Machiavelli.

Who is Rev Machiavelli? You ask. How do I know? I was his helpless prisoner like Joseph K. He got an entire town to ogle me. Looks can kill, you know?

Have you ever watched one person, one particular person, continuously for a few days? If not, try it once. Then you will realise how silly people are. Their protean facial expressions, absurd gestures, churlish mannerisms, self-talks… You will be convinced the person is insane after watching him closely for two days. Anyone on this earth can appear like a lunatic if you watch him incessantly for a couple of days.

The easiest way to drive a person to his doom is to ask a community of people to stare at him for a few days. Make him feel that he is under constant observation. Rev Machiavelli was my Bigg Boss in those days. Shillong was the Kafkaesque Castle. Rev Machiavelli also added a bit of spice to that entertainment by blocking my water supply for years. Walk on with me on these miasmic streets and I will show you the rugged paths I traversed with a bucket of water in each hand braving the bitter cold of the hill’s wintry mornings. You harass someone in every which way possible and subject him to the close scrutiny of a whole population. The person will go insane within days. Rev Machiavelli knew it. He believed that it was his God-given mission to decimate sinners this way. People are more than eager to support Machiavellis because they love the fun, especially in a sterile hill station like Shillong where entertainments are few and far between.

Can you recall a nightmare of yours? You are there on your bed sleeping peacefully when a bizarre shape enters your bedroom and lies down beside you. The naked body of the bizarre shape rubs against you sending electric shocks into the marrow of your bones. It’s a rape with a difference. Only certain godly people can do it.

You want to ask that shape what it is, what it wants, why it is doing this to you… Nightmares don’t let you do any of that, however. Rendering you utterly helpless is the nature of nightmares. You lie there feeling the electric shocks deep inside your bones. You sweat. You writhe. You struggle. All in vain. The shape makes you a heap of rubbish soon. And then mocks you. And then stands up and calls you muck. Do you agree that you are just muck, Tomichan? It smirks. And vanishes into the air that is thick with the stench of your sweat.

You are free to name that shape anything. I call it Reverend Machiavelli. Because I noticed a clerical cassock flutter in the emptiness of the night’s sweat all too frequently. 

As you walk with me, I request you to take a look at the history of our religions too. Our gods were never kind or loving. That’s all lies, that religions are about love and kindness. Have you forgotten the millions of corpses that lay beneath the religious structures we passed by? Holy wars, Intifadas, burning of heretics and witches, fatwas, satis, ghar vapsis, reconstruction of temples, deconstruction of history… Religions are about power. Worldly power.

In the big halls, the men of gods come and go talking of love and kindness. They make people chant abracadabra.

You are free to join them. Joining them is safe. Convenient.

Or you can continue to walk with me. Do you dare? Dare to see the unpleasant truths behind the illusions and delusions?


PS. I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z 

Previous PostsA,  B,  C,  D,  E,  F,  G,  HIJ,  K, L

Acknowledgement: All three images of Machiavelli in clerical costume are created magnanimously by Microsoft's AI: Copilot Designer

Comments

  1. This is deja vu. I took out my old copy of Prince to read, yet to start it though. now, am really intrigued to see what I missed in Machiavelli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beatings will continue until moral improves, for example. And there's a lot more to learn from Machiavelli.

      Delete
  2. Machiavelli still escapes my understanding ! Can there be anyone who has no job but to trouble someone who's gone thousands of miles away!??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, now imagine a missionary, M, who takes upon himself the task of reforming a prodigal son, T. M has political connections and other influences. He is arrogant too. Add to that the vengeance he nurtures in his heart because of T's writings that question his religion and god... Does something click now?

      Delete
    2. And the question "Do you agree that you are just muck, Tomichan?" was indeed faced by a devastated me. Really. The smirk was real too...

      Delete
  3. Hari OM
    Ahh, I think you know I walk the divide... and will again remind that it is the men, not the philosophy, that err. The evil was in the heart of the Rev - what made a devil of him was that he would have used the cover of his clothes and teachings to justify the perpetration of the acts you describe. Much as the current head of state now does... the hypocrisy, the manipulations, the avarice and hatred that emanates from some souls denigrates the very faith structures those souls claim devotion to; and yes, in that way, religious houses everywhere have become little more than clubs for the wicked. To have been an object toyed with by such as this surely must leave its mark and my heart aches some for the one who has had such experience. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Yam, that the structures aren't all that bad. I know quite many religious people who are good, who tremendous lot of good to others.

      For a long time I tried to convince myself that it was I who was evil and the Rev was trying to save me in his own way. But as I learnt more about whatever happened in the place, I became increasingly hesitatnt about the good intentions of the man. Good people won't go to the extent he did just for the sake of reforming someone who wasn't all that bad.

      There's a lot I can say about this. But I don't want.That's why I wrote it in this way - a mix of reality and fiction. Moreover, what really remains in your heart as a pain can't be expressed in plain prose.

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      I think this is the allure and conundrum of writing - that we can only every approximate any feeling and at no time can we ever provide the exact feeling or experience, for those are as individual as every living thing. This, I suppose, is why prose and poetry exist, as tools of extension and exploration but never the experience itself, providing something to touch others in some way. Sometimes we get close enough that others can identify some familiarity and from what is written, learn, grow - even experience catharsis and understanding for themselves. Writing is a healing medium! YAM xx

      Delete
    3. Your contribution in this space is precious, dear Yam. This above observation, for example.

      Delete
  4. I'm feeling a certain way reading this. To have been made to feel that way and be treated so, I don't know how i'd have dealt with it. Bright side? life lessons and such richness in your writing. I felt the pain acutely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That 'bright side' philosophy has been a joke for me. Once while we were having lunch in the Delhi school's dining hall, a colleague showed his tandoori roti to me. See how burnt it is, he said. I told him to look at the other side, and it was brighter indeed! My 'bright side' philosophy ended with situations like that.

      But, no doubt, I learnt a lot from my Shillong days. The only problem was that the 'beatings' went on too long unnecessarily - like flogging a dead horse.

      Delete
    2. Ah, on that, i'll say, maybe some better Karmic lot awaits in the next life. 😅

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a very toxic individual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. //Anyone on this earth can appear like a lunatic if you watch him incessantly for a couple of days.//
    During one of my discussions with my elder son, I said this, particularly, in the context of eccentrics like Gandhi, Bharathi :-) Apart from the context of this post, even if god comes to live with us, we'll look at him this way. Why this lunatic brush this way, not flushing toilets, snore while sleeping.......... :-)
    Machiavellism is toxic. It makes the environment and institution as poisonous. If one Machiavelli goes away, another Nachiavelli will come in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Machiavellis rule us. They will never vanish from our specis. They keep flourishing.

      Delete
  7. I read your autobiography long back when it came out. But did not give a review at that time since I had a feeling that something was missing. The initial part in Kerala was so open and revealing. The last part in Delhi although painful was openly shared. However, there was a shroud while relating the life in Shillong. Reference is there that it was "painful" but no incidents to justify or explain that position. During this A2Zchallenge you seem to be more revealing. Will go through all the posts to get a hang of that period. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shillong isn't easy to write about for me because I had blundered a lot too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc