Skip to main content

Yesterday

With students of Carmel


Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines.

Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret, I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let us smile to beat that inevitable legacy

I was warned an hour later, during the lunch break, by a colleague, that Margaret’s parents would be here tomorrow. She was their only daughter and she cried at home if anything went wrong at school. The parents wouldn’t bear her tears.

I was concerned particularly because I was entirely new in this school. But nothing went wrong. On the contrary, Margaret began to smile in class. And she smiled a lot after that. On the parent-teacher meeting day, her father told me that I was her favourite topic in their dinner conversations. Her parents were happy with the changes happening to her. Two years later, when Margaret completed her schooling and was going abroad for higher studies she met me with her father and a lot of unforgettable smiles.

Carmel school gave me a lot of friends like Margaret. Young friends. The school lifted me up from the depression that Sawan school had gifted me a few months back. 

My heart overflows with joy and gratitude whenever I think of Carmel. It gave me a new life altogether. Sawan under the management of RSSB had killed my soul and Carmel resuscitated it. The credit goes mostly to the students of my first years there. I never came across such sweet youngsters ever again. I can enumerate scores of anecdotes mentioning the names of students who brought me ecstasies in their own unique ways. 

How did this magic happen? I was questioned many times by many people. The truth is I don’t know. I didn’t do anything special. From later conversations with some of the students, I learnt that I was the first teacher to give them total liberty in the class to ask anything, to express their views openly even if they were diametrically opposed to mine, to go anywhere beyond the text if they so wished, and to smile a lot. And I appreciated them generously for whatever good thing they did. Appreciation was something I had learnt from Sawan.

The Covid pandemic altered all that, however. Classes went online and my efforts to engage students in debates and discussions were all in vain. Students were hesitant to speak out in front of their parents at home. Many of them preferred to visit certain websites instead of attending the classes. Some of them played games online during the classes. The pandemic caused an intellectual mutation among the students.

When the classes restarted at school after a year or so, I realised that the mutation was not only intellectual but also cultural. The students didn’t know how to behave in a class. Most of them had become insensitive egotists. I struggled to get my old personal chemistry back. Or a semblance of it. Some kind of a rapport with the students. Nothing worked.

Teaching is primarily a relationship. Especially for literature teachers. You can’t present Keats’s religion of beauty to your students unless your students can relate to your own concept of religion and your love of beauty and your admiration for Keats. A line like A thing of beauty is a joy forever will fall flat in a class whose Martin and Margaret have never even stood in awe before a rose, let alone touch the Keatsian heaven’s brink.

My classrooms which used to be my ecstasies now became my agonies. I discover Martin doing math one day in my class. I ask him why he is doing that. He says, “You carry on, I’m not disturbed.” The teacher is a potential disturbance to students now!

When the classroom became a place full of ‘I’s, I quit teaching. With a heavy heart.

What do you miss most now? A friend asked the other day? The classroom, I said. But I know I can’t return to the old classroom anymore. The mutation that has happened is not transient.

But I remember the yesterday of my career with a lot of fondness. The school kept me there for four more years after the official age of retirement. The principal asked me to stay on for another year. He is very different from most priests I know. The colleagues at Carmel were all wonderful people, extremely friendly and cooperative. Particularly those in the ‘Plus Two Staff Room.’ I take all that goodness as the bonus I received in the twilight of my career, a benediction that will stay with me like a soothing balm till the end. 


PS. I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z 

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. What a beautiful treasure you found out to share with us while walking through memory lane! Any memory related to school days that I read, fills my heart with joy because it is the most admired phase of my life that I want to go back to, again and again. Memories are pure and fresh like the blooming power of spring. You were a great teacher, I can say. You put efforts into understanding your students and encouraging them to speak their minds, that is done rarely by teachers due to either lack of time or a fear of being questioned. What can a student want in his class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sort of a situation is not an individual's creation. The students responded wholeheartedly to my overtures. I was fortunate to get that sort of students.

      Delete
  2. Such a heart-warming anecdote. The joy of seeing the smilies of students and their gratitude is something that nothing else can give a teacher. It's guidance and support that students need from a teacher and you have given them aplenty to your students. No wonder you are held in such high esteem by your students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even today I had a heartwarming conversation with a former student who is now in Canada. There's so much joy in our conversations years after we parted! I consider myself blessed.

      Delete
  3. Eagerly opened up the blog with a wholesome of smiles on my face but towards the end a deep sorrow went around the atmosphere. Carmel was indeed an experience for everyone. But you made it special. Thank you…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    To complete one's working life with a (relatively) high note is a charm indeed! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful blog. Reading it I remembered my teaching days. I always feel teaching rejuvenating career

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, being with youngsters makes us young. Unfortunately the world has been transformed.

      Delete
  6. It is wonderful to end your career with some happy memories...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful anecdote. A teacher touches so many lives during his/her life time. I loved reading the post although i felt sad at the end. I'm glad though that you have so many great memories to cherish forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some changes are beyond our control. Let us hope that another change will come and better the situation.

      Delete
  8. So beautiful post, great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The 'I' of life is the bane, it turns the world topsy turvy. At least there was Margaret, if not Martin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm grateful that there was Margaret and there were the others of those days.

      Delete
  10. The way you described how you dealt with not Margaret and later how you say you encouraged students to have an opinion of their own, it all made me wish I was one of your students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adolescents want to have their say and we need to give it to them. While other subject teachers have time constrictions, English teachers can definitely afford to have a lot of debates.

      Delete
  11. I'm guessing 11th class is what we called 11th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Covid definitely changed things. But I do think it's transient. Those who were older when it happened changed how they do school. But as we get the students who were younger when it happened and soon students who were too young for school when it happened, things will change again. To the way it was before? Likely not. But this too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too hope that the situation will improve though there's no return to the old ways. Some rectification has to happen.

      Delete
  13. Such a positive post, with a bitter layer, as it is still 'yesterday'! After the end of the formal career, you may continue to do it for likeminded students. I think there are many of them, still. As a teacher, I believe it would be difficult for you to spend your days without seeing or interacting with students. Hope it resumes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already engaged with another project related to books. Once that's done I will think of resuming teaching.

      Delete
  14. You have always been such a brilliant teacher and an understanding person. I am happy to know that you found occupational gratification after leaving Sawan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carmel was just a lucky happening in my life. I'm grateful to the destiny that kept this finale for me.

      Delete
  15. I think you brought a lot of happiness to your students and many appreciated you. A good teacher leaves a lasting impression, happy to see that students like Margaret left something for you. It was nice reading about a school that finally gave you happy memories ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a mutual relationship. The students were extremely responsive to both my classes and my personal idiosyncrasies.

      Delete
  16. Your post is a blend of good and not so good memories. It is a fact that COVID did a lot of harm to children. We are facing those even today. The challenge is to first break through those issues, create a rapport and then move on to academics. Your experiences prove how much your students enjoyed your classes. That, I believe, is the high point in a teacher's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in love with my classrooms. Then it all changed drastically. I tried my best to get it back on the track once again, but to no avail. A time came when i decided to stick to books and blogs.

      Delete
  17. The only thing I ever compared your class was to Dead Poets Society, and yet I don't know which I favour more. I still live in the memories of those days. 😂 Somebody told me for the first time to think for yourself. Some teachers can convey thier ideas elegantly but very few can help thier students to think for themselves. Even the arguments in the classroom were a way of learning something beyond the examination. Thank you sir for the service you did...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember a student telling me about The Dead Poets Society. And the student giving me her precious copy of the novel and recommending the movie. I remember a blog post that followed...

      It wasn't a service dear that I did. It was my enjoyment. Thank you for being with me still. 👍

      Delete
  18. A nostalgic look at the life in Carmel school.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Mango Trees and Cats

Appu and Dessie, two of our cats, love to sleep under the two mango trees in front of our house these days. During the daytime, that is, when the temperature threatens to brush 40 degrees Celsius. The shade beneath the mango trees remains a cool 28 degrees or so. Mango trees have this tremendous cooling effect. When I constructed the house, the area in front had no touch of greenery as you can see in the pic below.  Now the same area, which was totally arid then, looks like what's below:  Appu and Dessie find their bower in that coolness.  I wanted to have a lot of colours around my house. I tried growing all sorts of flower plants and failed rather miserably. The climate changes are beyond the plants’ tolerance levels. Moreover, all sorts of insects and pests come from nowhere and damage the plants. Crotons survive and even thrive. I haven’t given up hope with the others yet. There are a few adeniums, rhoeos, ixoras, zinnias and so on growing in the pots. They are trying their

Brownie and I - a love affair

The last snap I took of Brownie That Brownie went away without giving me a hint is what makes her absence so painful. It’s nearly a month and I know now for certain that she won’t return. Worse, I know that she didn’t want to leave me. She couldn’t have. Brownie is the only creature who could make me do what she wanted. She had the liberty to walk into my bedroom at any time of the night and wake me up for a bite of her favourite food. She would sit below the bed and meow. If I didn’t get up and follow her, she would climb on the bed and meow to my face. She knew I would get up and follow her to the cupboard where bags of cat food were stored.  My Mistress in my study Brownie was not my only cat; there were three others. But none of the other three ever made the kind of demands that Brownie made. If any of them came to eat the food I served Brownie at odd hours of the night, Brownie would flatly refuse to eat with them in spite of the fact that it was she who had brought me out of

Terror Tourism 1

Jacob Martin Pathros was enthralled by the ad on terror tourism which promised to take the tourist to the terrorist-jungles of Chhattisgarh. Jacob Martin Pathros had already visited almost all countries, except the perverted South America, after retiring at the young age of 56 from an ‘aided’ school in Kerala. 56 is the retirement age in Kerala’s schools, aided as well as totally government-fed. Aided schools belong to the different religious groups in Kerala. They build up the infrastructure with the money extorted from the believers and then appoint as staff people who can pay hefty donations in the name of infrastructure. The state government will pay the salary of the staff. The private management will rake in millions by way of donations from job-seekers who are usually the third-class graduates from rich-class families. And there are no students to study in these schools because they are all Malayalam medium. Every Malayali wants to go to Europe or North America and hence Malay

A Rat’s Death

I’m reading an anthology of Urdu stories written by different authors and translated into English by Rakshanda Jalil. These are stories taken from the rural backyards of India. I wish to focus on just one of them here today merely because I love it for its aesthetic intensity. A Rat’s Death by Zakia Mashhadi is the story of an impecunious man named Dhena who is a Musahar. Musahar is a Dalit community whose very name means ‘rat eater.’ Their main occupation is catching rats which they eat too because of inescapable destitution. One day Dhena is tempted by the offer made by Mishrji, a political broker. Go to the city and take part in a political rally and “You will get eight rupees, and also sherbet and puris with sabzi.” Puris and sabzi with sherbet to boot is a banquet for Dhena for whom even salt in his rat meat is a luxury. Dhena is scared of the city’s largeness and rush and pomp. But the reward is too tempting. The city people who eat puri-sabzi consider people like Dhena