Skip to main content

Etilda the Dance


A short story I wrote nearly two decades ago, Anna, I Miss You, was based on a real person named Etilda. Etilda was an elderly Khasi lady who taught at St Joseph’s School, Shillong. When I met her first in the monsoon of 1986, she was in her late 40s or early 50s. I had just joined St Joseph’s as a young teacher. St Jo, as they called it affectionately, was a culture shock for me. I was a total alien there initially with everyone else being a Khasi with the exception of one Punjabi Muslim lady and a Garo young man.

Bam kwai,” Etilda approached me with a neatly folded betel leaf. “Have kwai” is the meaning of what she said in Khasi language. Kwai is betel leaf with a little lime smeared on it plus a chip of arecanut. It plays a dominant role in Khasi culture. By the way, Khasis are the major tribe in Shillong. Their language is Khasi too. Etilda made sure that I learnt a Khasi word or two almost every day. She also taught me to chew kwai.

When a Khasi dies, they say that the dead person has gone to eat kwai with God. “You can’t be a Khasi without eating kwai,” Etilda chided me mockingly when I refused her offering at first. She had a way of integrating aliens into her fold. I took such a quick liking to her that I learnt the Khasi words she taught me and learnt to chew kwai too. And learnt quite a bit more from Etilda. About life as the story cited above shows.

Khasis love music. For that matter, most of the tribal people of the Northeast have music in their blood. At least a guitar would be found in every house in the Northeast. Music came to them naturally. Looking back at it now, I think that it was a sign of the natural goodness that their cultures carried. I failed to understand that in those days. In spite of Etilda.

Etilda was a dance. She could dance anywhere. She could celebrate anything with a spontaneous dance. She didn’t hesitate to drag me into a dance with her. “Like this,” she would say showing me some movements of the hands and legs. I was like a statue being dragged around by a personification of spontaneity.

I was brought up in a culture that erected formidable barriers between genders. Men were not supposed to touch women, not even one’s sisters or daughters. Etilda taught me that pollination belongs to plants and that humans have a lot of other options in relationships.

“I’m your Shillong mommy,” she said to me. She did treat me like her son though her own sons were younger than me. But our friendship didn’t last long. Such is destiny.

Shaphang, shaphang…” The school’s young singers were practising a song one day in the staffroom. It was a Khasi song. I sat mesmerised by the mellifluousness of the song. I didn’t understand a word of what they were singing. But I loved to listen to it. Khasi songs in general are really very sweet to listen to even if you don’t understand any line of it. The music is an ecstasy.

Aage, aage…” Etilda began to translate the lines for me. She didn’t realise that my knowledge of Hindi wasn’t any better than my knowledge of Khasi. I suggested her to translate it into English. “No,” she said, “not possible. The rhythm won’t match. Toward, toward… See, there’s no music in it.”

Etilda was music.

When some good news arrived the school one day, Etilda celebrated it in her usual way. She got up from her seat in the staffroom during the lunchbreak, pulled out a few other teachers too from their seats, and started dancing. “Shaphang, shaphang…”

The dance ended as if the world came to a standstill. Everyone rushed. It took me a while to realise that Etilda had collapsed during the dance.

Etilda never got up after that. Something had snapped in her backbone. Some orthopaedic disorder had been afflicting her and she had ignored it. When I met her next at her home, she was totally bedridden, paralysed from waist down.

“Mr Banerji is not here to give you tea,” she said with her usual smile. I wished I could smile in return. The dancer who could set my heart aflame with an exotic cadence wouldn’t get up on her own feet anymore. 

Mr Banerji was her husband. She always referred to him that way: Mister Banerji. He was of Bangladeshi origin. Shillong had an unfair share of Bangladeshi refugees/migrants and their descendants in those days.

“I miss beef,” Etilda told me as she spread lime on a betel leaf for me. She had not given up the habit of chewing kwai. A spittoon stood by her bed. Mr Banerji wouldn’t cook beef. “Why don’t you bring me some cooked beef next time?” Beef was a staple food of the Khasis.

I agreed though I wasn’t sure whether she would be able to eat the spicy beef of Kerala cuisine. I was already too familiar with the bland Khasi cuisine since I ate my lunch from a Khasi restaurant every day. “I can eat spicy food,” she said reading my mind.

But there was no next time. Etilda didn’t wait for my next visit. She went to eat kwai with her God. One of the nagging regrets of my life was this particular negligence of mine. I should have fulfilled her wish the same day or the next at the most. Some errors can never be rectified.

Dear Reader, this is not a story. Etilda was as real as I was in late 1980s. I will tell you more about those days and Shillong of the time in the coming posts. 

Etilda is second from left in sitting row
I'm second from left in the back row

PS. I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z 

Previous Posts: A,  B,  C ,  D

 

Comments

  1. This is so sad. Some people really have the grace to lighten up an entire room. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She must be entertaining God, if there's such a world, with her childlike spontaneity.

      Delete
  2. Such a painful story with your skilled narration. I can feel, how you blame yourself for not fulfilling her last wish. But it happens, Sir. You might be too young also. Wish for her pleasant stay with God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had my own limitations... And, as you say, these things happen... Beyond our control.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes that's how it goes. They're here one day, gone the next. And in our youth, we don't realize how little time some have left. She left you with some good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a lot good memories, in fact. And time... Now as an aging person, I realise how little time one has on this planet.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Wow, that's a huge compliment. A quantum leap from the post.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc