Skip to main content

Zorba’s Wisdom



Zorba is the protagonist of Nikos Kazantzakis’s novel Zorba the Greek. I fell in love with Zorba the very first time I read the novel. That must have been in my late 20s. I read the novel again after many years. And again a few years ago. I loved listening to Zorba play his santuri. I danced with him on the Cretan beaches. I loved the devil inside Zorba. I called that devil Tomichan.

Zorba tells us the story of a monk who lived on Mount Athos. Father Lavrentio. This monk believed that a devil named Hodja resided in him making him do all wrong things. Hodja wants to eat meet on Good Friday, Hodja wants to sleep with a woman, Hodja wants to kill the Abbot… The monk put the blame for all his evil thoughts and deeds on Hodja.

“I’ve a kind of devil inside me, too, boss, and I call him Zorba!” Zorba says.

I met my devil in Zorba. And I learnt to call it Tomichan. I was as passionate as Zorba was. I enjoyed life exuberantly. As much as I was allowed to, at least. The plain truth is that people won’t let you enjoy life with all that exuberance. Their gods don’t like it.

Zorba didn’t give a hoot to any god. Life was to be enjoyed. That was his simple philosophy. He didn’t like philosophy. But Zorba was good at heart. He loved people in his simple ways. He was good though religions and their gods wouldn’t understand that sort of goodness.

Long after I met Zorba, Albert Camus’s hero Dr Bernard Rieux appeared to me in the novel The Plague. Like Zorba, Dr Rieux didn’t see any meaning in suffering. Suffering has no merit in itself as taught by Christianity and many other religions. But Dr Rieux is not a sensualist like Zorba. When a plague strikes the city and hundreds of people fall prey to it, no sensible person can be a sensualist. Dr Rieux undertakes suffering for the sake of the victims of the pandemic. Dr Rieux undertakes suffering for the sake of asserting the essence of human existence: struggle. Struggle against the sheer absurdity of existence.

  Somewhere between my first encounter with Zorba and the only encounter with Dr Rieux, Dostoevsky’s Raskolnikov kept me in thrall for a while. A longer while than is desirable. Raskolnikov is a young student who thinks too much of himself – even as I did about myself. He is very proud of himself and he is an intellectual in his own right. He assumes he is a superman and hence doesn’t have to follow the mediocre people’s morality. In order to prove his superiority to himself, he goes and kills an old woman who isn’t anything better than a greedy moneylender. Guilt haunts him after that. There’s no escape for him from the evil of what he has done.

Sonya, a young woman who is prostituting herself in order to find money for feeding her sick sister and her children teaches Raskolnikov how to redeem himself. He has to discover his essential connectedness with the rest of humanity. His pride and intellectualism have to give way to acceptance of his own ordinariness just like that of the other human beings.

Sonya has transgressed human morality too. She is a prostitute. But her transgression is not for her own sake. It is born out of compassion. It is a self-sacrifice. Raskolnikov’s transgression is self-aggrandisement. Raskolnikov has to nail his ego to the cross of suffering. 

Raskolnikov accepts the value of suffering a la Christianity. Dr Rieux refuses to accept suffering as a virtue at any time. But he accepts its inevitability in human existence. Suffering comes whether we want it or not. It is our duty to fight it, overcome it, as best as we can.

I love Dr Rieux more. But there was more of Raskolnikov in my veins. You can be something genetically and quite something else intellectually. I struggled with my Raskolnikovian arrogance for long. Dr Rieux’s profundity has evaded me to this day. Intellectual understanding of an ideal doesn’t make anyone noble. Internalisation of the ideal does. As I grew older and leant to tame the Raskolnikov in me, Zorba rose in me with vehemence. No wonder I read Zorba again and again.

My nerves still sing with Zorba, my limbs long to dance with him, my veins carry his intoxication. But I am not Zorba.

I presented a few of the characters that have stayed with me for long. They have shaped my thinking to some extent. The real persons mentioned in this A2Z series have shaped my attitudes in many ways. I’m grateful for all the wonderful experiences I have had in the world of books as well as the real world.

I know that just as I was hurt time and again by other people’s words and deeds, I have caused much damage to others albeit unwittingly. Such is life. The best is to accept it with a Zorba-like resignation and dance on the beaches with your santuri in hand and a song on your lips.

PS. With this I come to the end of #BlogchatterA2Z challenge successfully.

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

 

 

 

Comments

  1. We often find answers in literature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Hurrah! This was an excellent conclusion to the alphebetical postings - a character I too have enjoyed for long. Did you ever watch the film made of it, starring Anthony Quinn? I feel he really caught the character well. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to watch that movie but never managed to get to it. Let me try a little more earnestly.

      Thank you for being there with me throughout this A2Z trip 🙏

      Delete
  3. Children mimic adults. Adults mimic other adults too. You finished this meaningful series, most of the posts exposed how vulnerable we were, especially the Savan one.
    You went ahead and finished it a day before. Good Show Sir. Take a break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Especially for accompanying me on this journey.

      Delete
  4. Yes we read to find answers to our questions, at least I do that and discovering our own Zobras is not an easy thing. We all have demons within us and we all say also but to accept it and then live with it not as a crippling factor but as a strength taking responsibility of everything they cause and with Zobra-like resignation

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just loved this Line" The best is to accept it with a Zorba-like resignation and dance on the beaches with your santuri in hand and a song on your lips. " That speaks that you are a gentle man. It was an wonderful ending to the A2Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. You re-ignite my passion for the classics! This year, i do plan to revisit some, Zorba, the Greek would be a new read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Intellectual understanding of an ideal doesn’t make anyone noble. Internalisation of the ideal does."
    Dr Rieux is definitely more to my understanding. But again the above lines are whats important.
    This was a heavy series to read. I found out a lot about you sir. There were many lessons about people I learned through your posts. I've never thought too much of the characters I read. I compartmentalize, so its always a treat have your distinct view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted to hear this. Writing this series wasn't easy for me.

      Delete
  8. Sir,you have a very enchanting way with words.But should you really dance with Zorba or any other character even in your head?Keep blogging.See you in the next challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Terror Tourism 1

Jacob Martin Pathros was enthralled by the ad on terror tourism which promised to take the tourist to the terrorist-jungles of Chhattisgarh. Jacob Martin Pathros had already visited almost all countries, except the perverted South America, after retiring at the young age of 56 from an ‘aided’ school in Kerala. 56 is the retirement age in Kerala’s schools, aided as well as totally government-fed. Aided schools belong to the different religious groups in Kerala. They build up the infrastructure with the money extorted from the believers and then appoint as staff people who can pay hefty donations in the name of infrastructure. The state government will pay the salary of the staff. The private management will rake in millions by way of donations from job-seekers who are usually the third-class graduates from rich-class families. And there are no students to study in these schools because they are all Malayalam medium. Every Malayali wants to go to Europe or North America and hence Malay

Terror Tourism 2

Terror Tourism 1 in short : Jacob Martin Pathros is a retired school teacher in Kerala. He has visited most countries and is now fascinated by an ad which promises terror tourism: meet the terrorists of Dantewada. Below is the second and last part of the story. Celina went mad on hearing her husband’s latest tour decision. “Meet terrorists? Touch them? Feel them?” She fretted and fumed. When did you touch me last ? She wanted to scream. Feel me, man , she wanted to plead. But her pride didn’t permit her. She was not a feminist or anything of the sort, but she had the pride of having been a teacher in an aided school for 30-odd years and was now drawing a pension which funded a part of their foreign trips. “I’m not coming with you on this trip,” Celina said vehemently. “You go and touch the terrorists and feel them yourself.” Celina was genuinely concerned about her husband’s security. Why did he want to go to such inhuman people as terrorists? Atlas Tours, the agency which b

The Little Girl

The Little Girl is a short story by Katherine Mansfield given in the class 9 English course of NCERT. Maggie gave an assignment to her students based on the story and one of her students, Athena Baby Sabu, presented a brilliant job. She converted the story into a delightful comic strip. Mansfield tells the story of Kezia who is the eponymous little girl. Kezia is scared of her father who wields a lot of control on the entire family. She is punished severely for an unwitting mistake which makes her even more scared of her father. Her grandmother is fond of her and is her emotional succour. The grandmother is away from home one day with Kezia's mother who is hospitalised. Kezia gets her usual nightmare and is terrified. There is no one at home to console her except her father from whom she does not expect any consolation. But the father rises to the occasion and lets the little girl sleep beside him that night. She rests her head on her father's chest and can feel his heart

Brownie and I - a love affair

The last snap I took of Brownie That Brownie went away without giving me a hint is what makes her absence so painful. It’s nearly a month and I know now for certain that she won’t return. Worse, I know that she didn’t want to leave me. She couldn’t have. Brownie is the only creature who could make me do what she wanted. She had the liberty to walk into my bedroom at any time of the night and wake me up for a bite of her favourite food. She would sit below the bed and meow. If I didn’t get up and follow her, she would climb on the bed and meow to my face. She knew I would get up and follow her to the cupboard where bags of cat food were stored.  My Mistress in my study Brownie was not my only cat; there were three others. But none of the other three ever made the kind of demands that Brownie made. If any of them came to eat the food I served Brownie at odd hours of the night, Brownie would flatly refuse to eat with them in spite of the fact that it was she who had brought me out of