Skip to main content

Levin the good shepherd

AI-generated image


The lost sheep and its redeemer form a pet motif in Christianity. Jesus portrayed himself as a good shepherd many times. He said that the good shepherd will leave his 99 sheep in order to bring the lost sheep back to the fold. When he finds the lost sheep, the shepherd is happier about that one sheep than about the 99, Jesus claimed. He was speaking metaphorically. The lost sheep is the sinner in Jesus’ parable. Sin is a departure from the ‘right’ way. Angels raise a toast in heaven whenever a sinner returns to the ‘right’ path [Luke 15:10].

A lot of Catholic priests I know carry some sort of a Redeemer complex in their souls. They love the sinner so much that they cannot rest until they make the angels of God run for their cups of joy.

I have also been fortunate to have one such priest-friend whom I shall call Levin in this post. He has befriended me right from the year 1976 when I was a blundering adolescent and he was just one year older than me. He possessed the maturity of a Messiah at the age of 17. As we grew older, his fascination with my erring ways snowballed. I must have been some sort of a curio for him, I assume. Or, maybe, he is such a good shepherd that lost sheep are his raison d'être.

I loved the attention he showered on me all along. The birthday cards, the personalised messages on occasions like Christmas, his self-sacrificing readiness to meet me at the railway station when I was travelling through his place, the special food packets he brought along on such occasions, the trips we made together… That’s a long list. Such friends are rare.

Levin never hesitates to express his view in very clear terms even if it may sound hurtful to the listener. He will never resort to euphemism if he has to speak about a spade. Keenly perceptive as he is, his opinions can be like deadly arrows that penetrate through all shields of defence that one may put up in unpleasant situations. He hits the bull’s eye most of the time. But he will be there with you after that, the good shepherd with his magic wand and also with the redeemer’s abiding compassion. He knows what he is doing. He knows that he is a shepherd with the mission of bringing the lost sheep back to the fold.  

He visited us – Maggie and me – when I was navigating the perilous contours of the hell that Reverend Machiavelli [more about him in next post] had hurled me into. He stayed with us for a few days and carried out his research in North Eastern Hill University [NEHU]. Before leaving us, he gifted me a few books on Foucault, Derrida and others who never made any sense to me then or later. I liked Foucault’s metaphor of the Panopticon, however. I was caught in a Panopticon when Levin was visiting us.

When I wrote a prelude to the A2Z series of which this post is a part, Levin was quick to warn me of the pitfalls of hindsight. What we call hindsight can be just a veil for hubris, he texted me. I hope I have succeeded in steering clear of my intrinsic hubris in these posts. I did my best anyway. One problem with priestly Redeemers is that they are not as eager to appreciate the good you do as to point their finger at the sins you commit. Levin is no exception.

Levin is a good friend, however. He will point out the possible pitfalls on your way. He warns you well in time. In spite of that, if you happen to walk into the pit, he will stretch out his arm to pull you out.

We have little in common, Levin and I. He is a Catholic priest and I am a nonbeliever who wears his atheism on his sleeve. He is an intellectual who loves dialectics and hermeneutics while I love the spirit that froths in a drink of whisky and the dance of fireflies in the twilight. Yet he was there with me all along for reasons that I can only ‘conjecture’ (one of his favourite words). 

AI-generated image

Whenever I think of Levin, the image that tends to rise in my mind, more than that of the good shepherd, is that of the guardian angel as described by my mother when I was a young boy. I had to cross a river in order to go to school. Those were days when even little children walked their way on their own. Nobody would kidnap them and rape them as it happens nowadays with alarming frequency in spite of the increasing number of good shepherds of all possible hues and shades. The bridge across the village river was made of wooden planks. Many planks were broken and a few were just not there. “Walk carefully,” my mother would advise me before I left for school, “and know that your guardian angel is there with you preventing your fall.” I never fell into the river at any time from that bridge. Children have more sense than adults.

People like me are destined to fall in life many times, however. Levin knew that. Hubris is the cause. So he decided to be my guardian angel and my good shepherd. Without the judgmental self-righteousness that usually accompanies the Redeemers. I know he was not judgmental. And it is quite impossible to be a Catholic priest without a good measure of self-righteousness.

Some people are condemned to learn certain basic lessons of life the hard way. If you are one of them, you will have it tough all along the way. On the way, you will meet people who will look down upon you from their high perches where they reached because of their cleverness and ability to get away with things. Having never found their own lights, they will only want to put out your own little light which is not to their liking. Levin is different. He carries his own light and he lets you find your own. I know he is a genuine friend. Never mind the good shepherd and the guardian angel. 


PS. I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z 

Previous PostsA,  B,  C,  D,  E,  F,  G,  HIJ,  K

 

Comments

  1. There are persons who influence our life in a positive or negative way. Persons like him increases the hope on the society and life.

    //Angels raise a toast in heaven whenever a sinner returns to the ‘right’ path [Luke 15:10].// I'm writing a museum tour script. One of the artifacts is the angels from an Indian church. I'll include this versus in my script! Hope the angels be happy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The toast is my translation! In the original, it is "angels rejoice". Go to the original when you quote for serious media 😊

      Delete
  2. Hari Om
    A character of depth and integrity, to be cherished all the more for the clarity provided by keeping company with... Your series continues to deliver, T, and while the warning may have been fair, it's also true that to provide the consistent voice that you have, a small amount of the ego must shine through! I am at last parked for a few days in one place, so hope to be more consistent in my comments too 🤗 YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yam. I'm glad you'll be able to comment more regularly now. You make much difference here.

      Delete
  3. It's good to have such a good friend. Although, he sounds a bit judgmental. But you if you get along, that's all that matters, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not exactly judgmental. As I implied, it's difficult to be a Catholic priest without being also self-righteous to some extent. It's part of the training, I guess.

      Delete
  4. That last paragraph. Tough world out there. I won't put it out there in the Universe, though, i've already had certain experiences but...nope. i guess, i'll wait for my Levin. Definetly need one of my own! Good friends are a luxury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tough, no doubt. At the age of 64 (turning at the end of this week), I still hesitate to confront many people...

      May you discover your Levin soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc