Skip to main content

Anand and trust


Anand was a good storyteller. We walked for years on the Mehrauli-Bhatti Mines Road in Delhi in the evenings. He was a good friend while we both were teaching at Sawan Public School. What drew me to him was his ability to create stories out of very ordinary mundane things that happened at school. These stories had a unique touch of humour, one which mingled subtlety, sarcasm and slapstick in just the right proportion. Anand would laugh hilariously at his own stories after delivering the punchline. My laughter was always subdued because life had smothered much of my ability to laugh before I reached Delhi.

It was during one of those walks that Anand told me the story of his being hijacked for a short period in his home state of Haryana. He was driving to a destination that was new to him. Those were days when the Google map was not available yet. So he was forced to stop at a particular junction to enquire about the way.

“I’m also going to that place,” the man on the roadside said to Anand. The stranger entered the car.

Their conversation soon shifted to politics particularly because their chief minister was embroiled in a scam at that time. Om Prakash Chautala, a man with immense political clout and who was the state’s chief minister many times, was charged under the Prevention of Corruption Act. He, along with his accomplices, had recruited over 3000 unqualified teachers to the state’s schools.

Anand had personal reasons to be furious with Chautala. He was a qualified postgraduate with many years of experience as a teacher, but he couldn’t get a job in his own state because of the corrupt politicians there.

When Anand’s car reached a particular place, his hitchhiker said, “Stop, I have to get down here.”

“How do I go now to my destination?” Anand asked him as he alighted.

“You go back to the place from where you picked me up and go in the opposite direction.” That man went his way as if nothing had happened.

“This is how Haryana is,” Anand told me as he concluded his anecdote.

A few years later, Anand did the same to me.

Anand betrayed my trust one day by telling the school authorities something about me which I had confided in him confidentially. I refused to take it as yet another specimen of the typical Haryanvi exploit because my association with Anand had a history that spanned a few years. I took his deed as a betrayal, breach of trust by a friend. I consoled myself eventually by drawing an analogy between Anand and Coleridge’s Ancient Mariner.

The old sailor in Coleridge’s poem was stuck in the South Pole when his ship got wedged between icebergs. There was no sign of life anywhere in that desolate place; there was only water and ice all around. It was then an albatross came from nowhere. Soon the bird became a friend of the sailors in the ship. It accepted the food given by them. It started coming to them whenever they called. The albatross trusted the sailors.

Then, one day, for no reason at all, the old sailor took his gun and shot the albatross. The sailor never found peace after that.

I was only consoling myself with the analogy between Anand and the old sailor. It was I who lost peace after Anand’s betrayal. Nothing changed in him. I brooded over the betrayal by a friend. Anand got what he wanted: proximity to some of the most powerful people in the school. He was ambitious. He wouldn’t shoot the albatross without a reason, without a calculated motive.

But there had been an error from my side too. I had done something that wasn’t exactly the right thing to do though my intention was good. I had forgotten that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I went to the higher authority and acknowledged my mistake. Ironically, the authority hadn’t thought of my deed as a big mistake as much as a lack of trust in them on my part.

In other words, instead of confiding in Anand, if I had taken the concerned problem to the school authorities, a possible solution could have been discussed. My behaviour smacked of immature rebellion.

I leant two lessons. One, if you have a problem with your institution or organisation, take it to the authority concerned and discuss it like a responsible staff instead of behaving like a terrorist who attacks the system stealthily. Two, human trust has its limits. If you stretch it beyond the limit, you will be taken for a ride.

Today, Anand is a teacher in a government school in his own home state. His nemesis, O P Chautala, spent a decade in jail for depriving Anand and others like him of justice. I am unable to continue the friendship, however, because one act of betrayal is enough to kill a relationship for ever.

Mehrauli-Bhatti Mines Road

PS. I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z 

Comments

  1. Anand "ji" was also involved in extramarital affair with a lady of almost half his age and students would say-"Hume ek nahi mil rahi, Sir do-do sambhal rahe hain" 🤣 🤣 🤣 A legend for sure 👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could have been just friendship as well.

      Delete
    2. Hi, That is a cheap gossip if a man and a woman spend some time on a walk all because they happened to be in the same department. If it was an affair, it need not have been in the open that too very much visible to his wife from the window of their accommodation on campus, my dear! Sawan never escaped unfounded blames.

      Delete
    3. And a person like Anand would never behave in front of his students that way. His wife wasn't as educated as others at Sawan. But she had common sense!

      Delete
    4. Maggie suggested me to remove the insinuating comment. But I have allowed anonymous comments with certain reasons though this was not one among the reasons. Nevertheless, I let it be if only to show that this space offers liberty. But how much liberty should I offer, I may have to take a decision in future.

      Delete
  2. So I do feel bad for Anand being taken for a wrong ride. And I have had many fair weather friends, so I learned long back that there is no such thing as a secret or confiding in someone to vent out. You learn as go along. And eventually, you flow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, life is the best teacher, though a bit cruel at times.

      Delete
  3. It's a bitter pill to be betrayed by a friend. But yes, I learnt early on the importance of open communication at the workplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life will be much smoother with sufficient openness. The problem is openness can be misused too.

      Delete
  4. Your post truly captures the pain of long-term friendships ending on a sour note. The breakdown of trust is a significant thing, and it's something we all encounter throughout life, across generations. In my professional experience, maintaining both a close personal friendship and a strong working relationship with the same person can be challenging. However, your point about the importance of maintaining a good rapport with school management is highly recommended. There's a wise Tamil proverb that applies here: "சாட்சிக் காரன் காலில் விழுவதை விட சண்டைக்காரன் காலில் விழுவது மேல்" (Saaṭci kāraṉ kālil viḻuvatai viṭa caṇṭaikāṟan kālil viḻuvatu mēl), which translates to "It's better to bow before the opposite party than the one who witnesses.". Keep A2Z going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betrayal is terribly painful. Worse, if the person begins to talk about you to others. Luckily for me, his talks didn't have many takers.

      I agree that we need to cultivate diplomatic relationships in workplace.

      Delete
  5. Betrayal of trust is a big way to end a friendship. Even if he did it for the right reasons, I can see why you wouldn't consider him a friend any longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instead of approaching the admin, he could have discussed the matter with me. That's friendship.

      Delete
  6. You gave a very insightful enlightenment to all who are working professionals. I agree with you that choosing right things is integral in all walks of our lives. If we are right we don't have to beg and bribe others to safeguard us. We are free to walk. Your story touched all those elements in my professional life. Your story took me back to all those incidences. some bitter but all worked for good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betrayal is painful. But trusting a person doesn't have its limitations if the friendship is chosen with wisdom. I think you couldn't see the difference between companionship and friendship. I don't know how much you agree to this viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right. In fact, I didn't trust him in the beginning. But years of togetherness does bring in a difference to any friendship!

      Delete
  8. That's true. It is human to look for a friend from the people around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oof. Betrayal by a friend, you can forgive but never forget. Workplace openess is a double edged sword from my experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We learn some lessons rather late. I could never bring myself to trust a friend after this experience.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc