Skip to main content

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan


Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator.

She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts of Delhi) to the godman of RSSB.

RSSB had a few hundred acres of land in that area already. They had an empire there, in fact. It is still there stretching on either side of the Mehrauli-Bhatti Mines Road, sharing some borders with reserved forests. Their headquarters is in a place called Beas in Punjab where they have a township of their own. It is a walled town like the old Shahjahanabad where the rules and regulations are given and implemented by the cult. The godman is like an ancient king there. He makes occasional visits to his subjects standing in an open vehicle. Devotees stand on either side of the road to receive his blessings. There are also regular prayer sessions and preaching sessions.

Something similar happens in Bhatti too. Thousands of people gather for the preaching-cum-prayer sessions called Satsang. Their vehicles require a lot of parking space.

RSSB is known for grabbing land wherever they are. Delhi’s major newspapers carried reports in April 2014 on the forest department’s allegation about RSSB’s illegal occupation of 123 acres of forest land in the Asola-Bhatti wildlife sanctuary area. Recently a friend of mine from Himachal Pradesh told me that RSSB is doing the same thing (grabbing land) in his hometown too and the local people are agitated. 

Staff quarters before being bulldozed

It is to this cult that Sawan school was sold in 2013. The sole purpose of whatever they did in their initial days on the campus was to terminate the services of certain staff under various guises such as unwanted post in a school (e.g., barber, carpenter, plumber, electrician, doctor, nurse) or low-quality service (anyone could come under that charge). Now, Sawan was an exclusively residential school. Nearly 500 students and about 100 staff all resided on the campus. Every service required normally by a community was provided on the campus itself. Hence barber, etc. But RSSB had its own ignoble intentions and so the axe was laid to the roots of many services.

Obviously, there was an agitated reaction from the staff. Some protested openly and went to the extent of blocking the car of the new manager (who will appear in the next post titled ‘Queen’) preventing it from going out of the campus. The result was loss of job for more staff who went to the court for justice. Justice in India usually favours the rich and the powerful. “Nobody can win against RSSB,” a doctor whom I consulted in a private hospital because of my depression told me. “Don’t you even dream of challenging them in any way. Save yourself as fast as you can.”

When the new manager (Queen in the next post) appointed by RSSB to kill the school found that the irons in the fire were too many for her to handle, Pranita was brought in.

Pranita was a bulldozer. With a stout and towering physique, she was a formidable personality. She could kill you – well, nearly – with a look. Or with words. Or indirectly by playing devious games that you would understand too late. When she took charge, she called a number of staff meetings and taught the teachers how to teach better. She gave a laptop to each teacher and insisted that lesson plans for each day of the next week should be submitted every Friday in the format she had prescribed. She gave a lot of work to the staff and made Wi-Fi available in school so that the projects could be completed with the help of Google. The teachers had to prepare question papers on their laptops and get them approved by Pranita before they were used in assessments.

I nearly fell in love with Pranita. I mean with her ways of doing things. I thought that Sawan was going to become a world class school. In my heart, I wished Pranita all success. But I was proved wrong too soon.

The RSSB people called some of the office bearers of Sawan’s alumni and explained to them why some staff were being asked to leave the school. Many reasons were given. One of the alumni who attended the meeting was a former student of mine. He told me in confidence that my name was mentioned too in the meeting. The allegation was that I produced poor results in the Board exams. The student knew it was a blatant lie because English results were always the best in the school ever since I joined it. Everyone knew it. I had received many certificates of merit and even a cash award for the remarkable performance of the students in my subject year after year.

I decided to confront Pranita regarding the allegation. With the permission of the alumnus, I asked Pranita why they were raising an obviously false allegation against me. She said she was not part of the meeting but that she would clarify the matter with the authorities concerned. She left the campus immediately and returned a couple of hours later. I was called to her office. “They were analysing the grade eleven marks,” she said. I told her that grade eleven exam was an internal assessment in which I demand a very high standard and hence the scores might remain low. It was a strategy meant to make students strive for higher standards of performance.

What RSSB wanted was not an explanation. They wanted some reasons – fabricated if need be – for terminating the services of the staff. Pranita was playing a big game. Her attempts which I had interpreted as efforts to raise the standards of the school were actually meant to harass the staff in every which way possible.

The tragic truth is that Pranita succeeded too easily. Many staff were packed off. Quite a few quit on their own. Bulldozers marched on to the campus. Staff quarters were the first to be pulled down. Then the hospital. The auditorium. And then the library. Shakespeare and Tagore and others lay like rubbish on the floor outside the demolished library waiting for the scrap-dealer. 

One part of staff quarters in smithereens

Soon I carried two resignation letters to Pranita: Maggie’s and mine. She was thrilled. I discovered a devilish gleam in her eyes. A prayer rose from my heart inadvertently for the extermination of such devils from the face of the earth. I assume she is still running her college for teacher-training which she had founded before entering Sawan campus like a personification of the bulldozer. I hope she will use her genius for better purposes at least there in her own institution.

Note: Even her signature was fake while she exercised certain official powers in Sawan


PS. I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z 

Previous PostsA,  B,  C,  D,  E,  F,  G,  H,  I,  J,  K,  L,  M,  N,  O

Comments

  1. Pranita's signature:-
    0.25%: Hindi
    0.75%: English
    Hence proved- "A perverted genius" 🤣 🤣 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was only a fraction of both her perversion and her genius.

      Delete
  2. I do not know what to say. The scene, the demolition of staff campus/library/auditorium was so painful to read. Religious or private institutions has this toxic environment, I think. At least the Govt institutions are balanced powers because of the unions. But when we talk about unions, it may open another pandora box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is corruption everywhere. And we are quite used to that. What happened in Sawan was perversion, not corruption.

      Delete
  3. Hari OM
    I have experienced such a person myself, earlier in life. Even now I wonder at what lies within a person that they can expend such energy on misdemeanor and machinations. They surely cannot know any kind of happiness themselves... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the most unfortunate people, I'd say. They have such tremendous potential for doing good but they do so much evil. They won't be happy, I agree with you. They can only pretend to be happy.

      Delete
  4. My god. To think such malice knocked on the door of a school. The cult, these people, the unending evil...I'm honestly shocked at the events you're writing about. Worst is that, people have no idea the extent of this menace in the name of religion. obviously i know, the present regime and probably earlier ones were in cahoots with this cult. Sad, sad things are happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I earnestly suggest you visit any one of their many centres. Beas itself if you can. I assure you your pirate will feel humbled.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry. Clearly she was brought in to close the school, so there was nothing you could have done. Better you got out when you did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is extremely disturbing when educational institutions are caught in situations like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly, she certainly misused the energy that God had blessed her with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc

X the variable

X is the most versatile and hence a very precious entity in mathematics. Whenever there is an unknown quantity whose value has to be discovered, the mathematician begins with: Let the unknown quantity be x . This A2Z series presented a few personalities who played certain prominent roles in my life. They are not the only ones who touched my life, however. There are so many others, especially relatives, who left indelible marks on my psyche in many ways. I chose not to bring relatives into this series. Dealing with relatives is one of the most difficult jobs for me. I have failed in that task time and again. Miserably sometimes. When I think of relatives, O V Vijayan’s parable leaps to my mind. Father and little son are on a walk. “Be careful lest you fall,” father warns the boy. “What will happen if I fall?” The boy asks. The father’s answer is: “Relatives will laugh.” One of the harsh truths I have noticed as a teacher is that it is nearly impossible to teach your relatives – nephews