Skip to main content

Balram and a mystery


He was the most stylishly dressed man on the campus. Let me call him Balram. He wore modish trousers and shirt during the day and immaculately white kurta-pyjama in the evenings. His kurta differed from everyone else’s; it was half-sleeve and much smaller than the traditional ones. Later, I used to wonder whether Mr Narendra Modi adopted the style of his kurta from Balram.

In my first days on the campus of Sawan residential school in Delhi, Balram was always seen swirling a car key on the index finger of his right hand which was held high.

“Do you know why he’s doing that?” Anand asked me one day.

“Showing off, I guess,” I said.

“As if he is the uncrowned king here,” Anand said with unconcealed contempt. In a year’s time, Anand bought a Maruti 800 car which was what Balram had too. Most teachers in Sawan had two-wheelers at that time. Eventually almost everyone had a car. Towards the end, when Sawan was being killed by a religious cult (more on that later), Balram bought a costly car. Curiously, he started talking to people like me too in those days.

Balram would never talk to me. He usually didn’t even care to look at me. Probably he thought being a Christian by name I belonged to a low caste as most Christians in North India do. Anand once commented to me (I forget the context), “I don’t mind mingling with the low caste.” A few months later, when the school required all staff to write certain personal information on a document, Anand’s caste was entered as OBC [Other Backward Caste] and mine was General Category (which was on a par with the upper castes).

Balram used to refer to me as Angrez. Angrez was Hindi for English. I was an English teacher and I hardly knew Hindi. I used to converse with everybody on the campus in English except the peons at school, the waiters in the dining hall and the numerous gardeners who maintained the campus spick and span. “What did Angrez say?” I heard Balram ask others many times. He would never ask me personally what he wanted to know from me.

A whole paradigm shift took place later when a religious cult known as Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] took over the school with the intention of shutting it down and converting the campus into an enormous parking space for the godman’s devotees who thronged in thousands to listen to his quarterly sermons in the nearby ashram. When it became certain that Sawan would be shut down, Balram started talking to me personally. He offered himself as my counsellor and well-wisher and what not.

I was passing into melancholy in those days merely because I didn’t like what was happening on the campus. Many staff members were dismissed by RSSB without any reason. Anand was also among those who lost their jobs first. Anyone could be thrown out on any day. One teacher was beaten up on the road. A hostel warden was attacked in his official residence on the campus by some women belonging to RSSB and charges of molestation were fabricated against him.

Balram came to my residence [we all stayed in adjacent apartments offered by the school] frequently pretending to be discussing the problems on the campus. I never understood his motives or intentions. I never trusted him either. But he didn’t leave me. His behaviour was a problem added to those I was grappling with because of the new hostile management.

Balram even went to the extent of offering me a teaching post in the prestigious Lawrence School, Sanawar. The school was in his home state of Himachal Pradesh and he claimed to know someone there who could help us. “I will join the school too if you’re ready to come,” Balram said to my utter bafflement. What was he up to? I confess that I have never managed to find that out. Up to this day.

One day Balram told me, “My daughter thinks you’re the best teacher. She speaks so highly about you at home.” I taught his daughter during the two years of her senior secondary but she had never at any time given the impression of having any liking towards me. She was one of the most indifferent students I ever had. I didn’t know how to respond to her father’s new moves at all.

Towards the end of Sawan, just before it collapsed inward like a dying black hole, I went into absolute depression. Balram visited me more frequently. He even brought bananas once with him saying they were happy fruits.

Eventually I left Sawan and Delhi unable bear the weight of my psychological depression. A year later, I revisited the place. The school building, hostels, dining hall, library, staff quarters, every single building had been razed to the ground. A vast arid wasteland stood where my beloved school had been.

I came to know that Balram was staying in a place quite near to the demolished school. I decided to visit him on a sudden whimsy. He wasn’t particularly pleased with my visit though he personally went to the kitchen and prepared tea. His daughter who was in her room didn’t even care to come out. “She’s busy with her assignment,” Balram said. And I was her favourite teacher at school!

What game was Balram trying to play with me? The mystery remains even today. I have enabled anonymous comments on these posts so that some Balram can help me clear such mysteries.

Sawan's last days

PS. I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z 

Previous Post: Anand

Comments

  1. Well, Balram had reasons to showoff as he was ultrarich. Once his son told me that his father had enormous property in CP & Hauz khas. As a student i had close proximity to Balram so obviously i was privileged on many grounds like I could go home whenever i felt like☺. His wife was a govt. employee back then who was earning much more than him, as Balram had told me.I always felt that he should have gone in BigBoss (reality show), he would have definitely won it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid you got the person wrong this time... Probably because you were not there in SPS when RSSB changed the culture of the campus totally.

      Delete
  2. In Hindu mythology, Balarama is the elder brother of Krishna. He is also known as Baladeva, Balabhadra and Halayudha. In the Puranas, *he is a deity who helps in slaying demons and protecting dharma.*
    In the Jagannatha Temple of Puri, Odisha Balabhadra or Balarama is worshipped along with Lord Jagannatha and Mother Subhadra. Balabhadra is considered as the elder brother of Lord Jagannatha who is the reincarnations of Vishnu and Krishna.
    (I hope you got the answer to the question, posed in your writeup.)
    😂 Best of luck 🤓

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean absolute fake? I knew that from my day one in SPS.

      Delete
  3. Every post in this series would be a qualified short story!

    It's interesting to see how his attitude seemed to shift once the school closure became official. Do you think he might have believed you could help him find a new job, leading to his later frustration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My actual purpose is that: present some people who can be convincing characters in fiction. Some coming up will be good souls too.

      Balram was playing a game with me on behalf of some external force, somebody from outside the school. That's what I've gathered so far.

      Delete
  4. He sounds toxic. Why do toxic people do what they do? I have no idea. It's best that he's no longer in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes such people thrust themselves into our life and make it miserable. Why do they do it? Well, I have no answer. But I have seen quite many of them in my life. This Viswa Guru complex is not restricted to our PM alone!

      Delete
  5. I can relate to this very well. You know I think this always happened with me in one way or the other. It happens with everyone I guess. Not everyone has good intentions always. You know people did to me wrong and then they use to take me to astrologers so that I would consult them to find my future and how to stop these bad things in my life. People do things only to wash off their burden of sin or guilt they carry, but they never repent and become better. Actually your posts helps me to self-reflect on those incidences and recollect some of the things which I might have missed earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though memories may not be good, I'm glad these posts are doing you some good.

      Delete
  6. Balram was a fishy character indeed. Once came over to my place along with his daughter..trying hard to convince me to invest in a MLM kind of scheme..I said a clear NO...he was taken aback by my denail for not trusting him. While I was convinced that this is one fake person. This is the last time I am listening to his schemes of quick money.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc