Skip to main content

Dawn and Commitment


Dawn was the most reliable colleague I ever had. She was the paragon of commitment. If she took up a responsibility, she would go out of her way to perfect the output. We worked in the same department at Sawan Public School, Delhi. One of our many duties in that exclusively residential school was preparing students for such interschool competitions as debate, declamation, etc. Whenever I needed help with such tasks, I fell back on Dawn. Very few people are so entirely reliable.

We were happy colleagues for over a decade doing a lot of things together like directing the English play for the school’s annual day, anchoring sports events, organising inter-house competitions related to our subject. There existed a rare camaraderie between us that made the tasks all too easy. There were moments when I thought she overestimated me because of which she suppressed her dissent with my way of carrying out certain duties and activities. Almost a decade after we parted from each other, I once did tell her that she was overestimating me. It was in another context altogether, related to a project I took up post-retirement, thanks to Dawn. She didn’t endorse my humility, however.

 Humility is one of the many virtues I never managed to acquire in spite of many arduous efforts I made. Dawn is not humble either. The difference however is that she doesn’t possess the arrogance I do. I usually succeed in suppressing my arrogance, while Dawn didn’t have to grapple with that vice.

When Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] took Sawan captive, the system underwent many changes. One such change was related to the anchoring duties that Dawn and I used to carry out without any hassle or glitch until then, especially on the Annual Sports Day. We used to do that job impromptu because of the nature of the function which could not all be pre-planned entirely. Many events change sequences, the names of the winners will come up in the last moment, and so on. Even the valedictory function didn’t have a rigid order, especially because the Head of the physical education department was notorious for last minute arrangement of every possible thing. Dawn and I had got used to it and we knew how to handle the situation.

But RSSB insisted on readymade written anchoring scripts. “Write down everything from the start to the finish,” the new Manager ordered imperiously when I met her in her office on summons. Worse, she gave me some yellowing sheets: the anchoring script she was using in her school for years and years. “You can use this as guidelines.” I felt nauseated. I could never work that way. I have never delivered a speech from any stage with the help of a written script. Reading out a written script has no life. You speak from the heart if you want words to have life. Never mind even if you commit an error or two. People don’t mind errors as much as they get bored with written scripts.

The first thing I did after coming out from the new manager’s office was to meet Dawn. Shoving the yellowing pages towards her, displaying my displeasure arrogantly, I told her what had happened. Dawn knew me. She knew I wouldn’t work with a readymade script. “Leave it to me,” she said. “I’ll do something.”

Dawn was ready with an entirely new written script the next morning. She followed the example in those yellowing pages from the manager’s ancient history and made her own script. She imbued the spirit of the manager’s script and did a better job with it. The manager was happy. That was the last annual sports day in Sawan. The manager wrote a new script for the school which killed the institution soon enough. But her new script made her the Director of the dying school.

Dawn left the school before the manager became the director and a new manager named Pranita (who has made umpteen appearances in this space and will make one more in this A2Z series) took over with the gusto of the bulldozers she brought along to pull down the buildings one by one.

Many people had left Sawan already when Dawn was given her official farewell. Many had been thrown out by the director and the manager. The remaining started leaving on their own. Dawn was one of those. I had prepared an affectionate farewell speech in my mind for her. But I couldn’t deliver it. I mumbled some absurd sounds and ended my speech. I don’t recall what I said. Words cease to have relevance in certain moments.

Our friendship has continued to this day. I got a lot of help from her until I retired from teaching a few weeks back. Anytime I wanted some help with CBSE’s latest changes or orders or something like that, I only had to text Dawn and the answer would arrive in a jiffy. If she didn’t have the answer, she would go out of her way and find it for me. When I ask for a flower, she gives me a whole season of spring.

Even after I retired from teaching, Dawn keeps sending me certain information that she thinks I should have. The latest that came from her is about the new curriculum of CBSE which seeks to decimate English gradually from India’s schools. Hindi is being thrust upon all students. Moreover, in a devious process of Indianisation, attempts are being made to smother local cultures and traditions. Dawn warns me of these changes because she is concerned about what is happening in the country, especially in its schools. Like Diogenes, Dawn knows that the foundation of every state is the education of its youth.

People like Dawn are the reassurance that goodness hasn’t vanished from the world of humans. 

You won't find this gate anymore

PS. I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z 

Previous Posts: A,  B,  C  

 

Comments

  1. This story splendidly expresses the truth of the productive relationship and unshakeable morality underneath the trying times. She is a real superwoman. It's good to know that there is such dependable friendship and comment on how it is that to get along with life's highs and lows.








    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There still is a lot of goodness in the world. There are good friends who help each other. The tragedy is the kind of politics that is being played in our country.

      Delete
  2. I think this is the Japanese art of Kintsugi to repair the breakages with golden or platinum mixture with some powdery substances. A friend has the potential to act as the golden patches to show the cracks in good light without disguising them. Pride is the quirk and Mr Matheikal has powdered it with the golden dust of arrogance as vice. His arrogance is never unfounded or whimsical It is his steadfastness when it comes to ensuring fairness and justice to prevail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my indignation that most people read as arrogance most of the times, I think. [Ther's arrogance even in that line of thinking :)] I leave it to my students particularly to tell me how arrogant I was because it is the young who read us best. Unfortunately, hardly any student responds here.

      Delete
    2. No sir thats not right of you think that hardly any student of yours read your blogs though i wasnt your student rather a colleague, yet learnt then still learning. Thank you

      Delete
  3. "You speak from the heart if you want words to have life. Never mind even if you commit an error or two. People don’t mind errors as much as they get bored with written scripts."- Totally agree. Whole through my career, I enjoyed speaking impromptu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You speak impromptu. That's precisely why people would love to listen to you again and again.

      Delete
  4. I am shocked at the state of affairs in teaching, how can they take away a global language and make it a backward native country! What about globalisation and a trillion dollar economy, competing with the world?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I understand, Mr Modi thinks by making Hindi the lingua franca of the most populated country, he's paving the way to making it a world language. Modi has a vision which he will probably never realise is a delusion as grand as his overinflated ego.

      Delete
  5. Your post today took me back to the time when I was a teacher for a few years and how much it worried me to see schools turning into another kind of industry, a machine to manufacture obedient humans. It is indeed a sad state of affairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RSSB is actually running such a school in Beas, Punjab. There's a whole township there where every resident has to do whatever the godman dictates. The school there has all facilities imaginable, but meant to brainwash students indirectly.

      Delete
  6. It is so good to read the way you compared the speech with and without the written script. Back in school, students started chatting among themselves, if someone start reading the prewritten script on the mic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All speech should come from the heart. Even political ones.

      Delete
  7. Your dawn brought dusk to the lives of lot of her students ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that too much of a hyperbole? Would you care to write a guest post in this space about your Sawan days? I'm curious.

      Delete
  8. Why do they always go after education? (Don't answer that. I know the answer to that.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sir beautifully written with lots of emotions in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tomi Sir...was a Friend, philosopher and guide..learnt a lot from him. Was always looking forward to have a conversation with him . I remember he coming towards me in the mess during lunch...I was about to stand up..he caught hold of my hand and said " Never Stand up while having your food..even if God comes himself "

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catching up with your work after a long time...brings back a lot of good memories..Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc