We Four
![]() |
| Image by Gemini AI |
Fiction
Every evening, just before the streetlights came
alive, they would gather outside my gate.
First came the brown one with a torn
ear. Then the limping black dog. Finally, the smallest, white with muddy
patches, always keeping a respectful or suspicious distance until I spoke.
“Come,” I would say. That was all
they needed.
Now they come without invitation. My
house has become their home too.
I don’t know their names. I never
named them myself. Naming creates hope. Hope demands permanence. At 66, after a
lifetime of losing people, I have learnt not to expect permanence from anyone.
The neighbours said they were stray
dogs. I knew better.
I am a retired schoolteacher. For
forty years I taught young minds that life rewarded honesty, hard work and
patience. It was a lesson I believed with all my heart, even though my own life
stubbornly refused to prove it.
Failure never arrived dramatically.
It seldom does. It came quietly, one poor decision at a time. Pride when
humility was needed. Silence when an apology would have healed. Anger disguised
as principle. Dreams pursued long after they had become burdens. Every
crossroads offered me a chance to become a better husband, a more understanding
father, a wiser man. Somehow, I always chose the road that led farther from those I
loved.
Did I do it consciously? I don’t
think so. There’s Denis Diderot’s Jacques the Fatalist winking at me from
my bookshelf. I love that book for some reason I didn’t think of yet. Fatalism?
Maybe. Jacques insisted that everything written on “the great scroll above”
must happen. Was my life a slow unfolding of a script already written, or did I
compose it myself through a thousand avoidable mistakes? If fate had dealt the
cards, why did every loss bear the unmistakable imprint of my own … hubris?
stubbornness? genes?
If everything was my doing, why did
some invisible force seem always to nudge me towards the worst possible choice?
Even now, in the autumn of my life, I
cannot answer. I know that Jacques would call my story inevitable. The teacher
in me, however, continues to believe that another lesson, another decision, might
have once changed the ending. Maybe, a new decision can be made even now, at
this moment.
My wife left me long ago. It may be
more correct to say that I left her. Because she wanted that. And I loved her
enough to respect her wish. I still love her, though we have never talked to
each other for decades. My sons wish me on my birthday.
We were a happy family once upon a
time. Like in a fairy tale.
My wife loved our sons with a fierce,
almost frightened devotion. Love, for her, was not something to be shared but
something to be possessed. Whenever the boys ran to me with their report cards
or their little triumphs, I would catch a shadow crossing her face. She wanted
to be the first person they sought, the last person they hugged before
sleeping, the one whose opinion mattered most. There was room in her heart for
all of us, but she could never believe there was room in ours for more than
one.
We were four but one. Now we are four
separate lives living in four different corners of the country. Do we all orbit
the same memories? I wonder. I hope.
Now, these three dogs wait for me every
evening with a faith my own family no longer possesses. These creatures don’t
ask why I live alone. They never judge the long silences that fill the house.
They are happy with whatever food I share with them. They accept my stories
with the attention only the lonely can give.
Looking at them, I smile at the
strange arithmetic of life.
Once, we four shared a dining table.
Now, we four sit beneath a fading sky: an ageing man and three homeless dogs,
each carrying wounds that no one else can see.

Comments
Post a Comment