Kingini, My Boss
The only reason that keeps Maggie and me glued to our
house is Kingini. When we travel, we make sure that we return home the same
day, even if it is a little late in the night as it may happen sometimes. “Kingini
will be hungry.”
Kingini governs us, so to say.
She has never had any doubt about her
position in our household. She is not a pet; she is the owner. Maggie and I are
her staff.
Every
morning, long before the sun has even begun to consider getting out of bed,
Kingini is up. Her breakfast is due at around 5 am, give or take a few minutes.
She comes near my bed and gently taps the side. One tap. A polite reminder. If
I ignore it, there is a second tap. If I continue to pretend that I am asleep,
Kingini gets onto the bed. At that point, the diplomacy is over. She walks
around me, walks over me, stares at me and generally makes sure that sleep is
no longer an option. She has several techniques, all of them are highly
effective. If Kingini had stepped into my life in my youth and I had learnt
certain lessons from her, I might have been sitting on a royal throne in
Indraprastha today.
I sometimes
feel I can almost hear my grandmother speaking through Kingini:
“Early to bed and early to rise makes a cat healthy and wise.”
No thanks for
any of what I do for her, however. She eats and walks away like a queen. And
she always makes sure she preserves her standards. Call her name and she looks
away. Ask her to come and she suddenly becomes deaf. Try to pick her up to
fondle her in your lap and she remembers an urgent appointment elsewhere.
But when we
are sitting quietly, she may suddenly appear beside us and curl up as though
she has always belonged there.
When she has
an irresistible urge to eat fish, she will simply refuse to eat all those Whiskas
pellets and soupy chicken nuggets that come in packets. She will make sure that
I go to the nearest market and get her fish.
The thing is, as a friend
of mine says whenever he is not quire sure of himself, Kingini adds a little
more warmth, laughter and love to my life day after day.


Comments
Post a Comment