Teacher’s Day: Forty Years in the Classroom
![]() |
| My First Colleagues in the Profession - Me back row 2nd from left |
A few months back, I received a phone call from a
student whom I taught at St Joseph’s Convent School in Shillong in the early
1990s. She’s now mother of a grownup boy who works in Kerala. When she came to Kochi
to visit him, she remembered me. I was quite excited when she recalled certain
happy moments from her schooldays of which I was a part too. A teacher’s true
reward is such remembrance by former students.
I became a teacher purely by chance.
Because I couldn’t find a better job, to put it bluntly. I had failed even as a
hotel management trainee. A friend helped me find the teaching post at St Joe,
as the girls called their school fondly. Having majored in math with physics
and stats as subs, I took up the job of teaching math and science to high
school students.
The fact that my first students were
all girls helped. My immature and egotistic nature was reined in by the
charming smiles all over. I grew to love teaching sooner than I would have
expected.
I spent my free time reading since
Shillong didn’t have any worthwhile entertainment whatsoever. That’s how I
decided to do postgraduation in English literature. After eight years of my
stint at St Joe, I became a lecturer of English in a college in the same place.
That was a tragedy. Many things went wrong – due partly to my intrinsic flaws and
partly to the society’s delight in accelerating an individual’s downfall – and
I finally quit the place. And became a schoolteacher again, in Delhi, where I
taught for a decade and a half. My last ten years of teaching were in my own
home-state of Kerala.
Over 40 years, I made my share of
mistakes. There were students I dealt with harshly. There were occasions when I
lost patience with behaviour that irritated me. With the wisdom of hindsight, I
sometimes wonder whether certain incidents could have been averted if I had
been more patient or had taken the trouble to understand what lay behind a
student’s behaviour.
Whenever I tried to understand a
student personally, it was a tremendous learning experience for me. I learnt
that every student carries an epic within them. Some of those stories are a lot
painful too.
The most important lesson I learnt as
a teacher was that teaching is not about imparting knowledge. Teaching is a relationship
that evolves in the classroom. A classroom is a space where trust is built,
personalities meet, and human beings influence one another. A student learns
not only from what a teacher says, but also from the teacher’s patience,
fairness, enthusiasm and concern. In turn, teachers are shaped by their
students: their questions, struggles, aspirations and even mischief.
Knowledge is the visible part of
education. The invisible bond that develops between teacher and student is what
gives learning its meaning. The lessons taught in a classroom may fade with
time, but the memory of a caring teacher, a word of encouragement or a moment of
understanding can remain a lifetime. That is why teaching is more than a
profession. Teaching is a mission.
When I left teaching at the age of
65, I knew that it was becoming difficult for me to hold on to this view of
mine about the missionary nature of teaching. The generation had changed
drastically. I would have continued to teach otherwise. That’s different story,
however.
I wish HAPPY
TEACHER’S DAY to all teachers in
India, especially my colleagues in the last school with whom I’m still in
touch.
![]() |
| The Last School |
PS. India observes Sept
5 as Teacher’s Day in honour of its first President, Dr S Radhakrishnan, who
was a teacher and philosopher. He said, “The true teachers are those who help
us think for ourselves.”


Comments
Post a Comment