I will always love you
Time has put Dolly Parton on its cover in
honour of the woman who entertained America and the world through her songs and
acting. She passed away on 25 Aug 2026.
What struck me as I read the obituary
in Time was the background of her famous song ‘I will always love you.’
The song was written when she chose to end her partnership with Porter Wagoner
whose syndicated country music TV show was so popular that it aired for 21
seasons from 1960 to 1981. Parton joined the show in 1967 and the duo produced
songs that enthralled the whole world. Parton left the show in 1974 to pursue a
solo career.
Wagoner was furious and sued her for
$3 million, claiming breach of contract. Parton agreed to pay him $1 million
every year. And she did pay it for years. But the song she wrote when she
decided to part ways with Wagoner became a hit. Even Wagoner broke down
listening to it. [You can listen to the song here.]
The song is a bittersweet ode to
selfless love, capturing the painful decision to step away from a relationship
so the other person can thrive. It balances the painful necessity of saying
goodbye with enduring affection, gratitude, and good wishes for their future.
Dolly Parton was good at heart. Great
at heart, I’d say. In response to a question by the Time’s obituary
writer once for a podcast called Dolly Parton’s America, the lady said,
“I just think we need to love one another…. We need to be a little kinder…. We
need to have more love and compassion.”
Parton practised what she preached.
She helped a lot of people in many ways. For example, she provided $15,000
scholarships to many high school students. She made books available to children
through her Imagination Library. Certain Black communities received much
magnanimity from her.
I had little knowledge about her life
until I read the Time obituary. I remember how my fellow college mates joked
about her big breasts back in the 1980s. This obituary reminded me of that
because it mentions how the world’s first cloned sheep was named after her
merely because of its “large mammaries.”
She was the butt of many jokes, says
the writer. But she was great. Her story, says the obituary, “is a testament to
how a person of humble origins can accomplish extraordinary feats, when they pray for, write with compassion about, and take action for others.”

Yes. Long Live, Dolly.
ReplyDeleteShe will live on in the hearts of thousands of people whose lives she touched.
DeleteShe was a truly great person
ReplyDeleteI understand. I wasn't aware of the details until i read the orbit.
DeleteShe was an extraordinary person. She was one of the few who achieved great wealth without doing it by exploiting the work of others, and one of the few who spent much of it helping the most needy. Yes, there were breast-size jokes, but there are always immature assholes. She will be remembered with respect.
ReplyDeleteYes, that makes her uniquely great in an acquisitive world. Jokes are part of life, what to do! She had a healthy sense of humor and that saved her.
DeleteHari OM
ReplyDeleteDP was definitely a role model, and considered by some as a modern-day saint. I was never a great fan of her music, truth be told, but I surely did admire her humanity. YAM xx
Posterity will remember her for that humanity, I'm sure.
DeleteI did like her as a singer and an actress, but until she dies and they started talking about her generosity, charity, love, and compassion on the news I had no idea about her. Thank you for this beautiful post where I have now learned even more about this beautiful woman.
ReplyDeleteI too came to know about the magnanimity of Parton only when I read the obit.
DeleteHer music touched millions, but her kindness touched lives. A beautiful tribute to Dolly Parton.
ReplyDeleteThat's beautifully said.
DeleteI grew up seeing Dolly all over the place, she was everywhere. She was great and it's sad there are not more people like her that the youngsters look up to these days.
ReplyDeleteYes, if only more people were like her in magnanimity.
DeleteThank you!
ReplyDeleteWelcome.
DeleteShe made as many if not more jokes about her chest size. I was so saddened when I heard of her passing.
ReplyDeleteShe had an exquisite sense of humor.
DeleteI also heard about this song and that she wrote it as a goodbye to Porter Wagoner (working with him). It was a very kind and sweet gesture, and I have always loved Dolly.
ReplyDeleteIt also shows the largeness of her heart.
DeleteI remember her on Porter Wagoner show. All my granddaughters took part in her imagination library. Although I think 2 older one aged out.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure thousands of Americans miss her.
Delete