Intentions and Actions

The Bishop and Jean Valjean 


I have had to apologise many times in my youth.

A friend once complained that I had been rather rude to him. In those days, I had no idea that people were so very sensitive. I was insensitive, in other words. “Rude? Me?” I was perplexed, genuinely. “I had no intention of being rude. I’m sorry.”

“That’s quite comforting,” he said. “Unfortunately, I was on the receiving end of your intention.”

I recall the episode years later.

The point does matter. I had been judging myself by what was happening inside my head, while my friend had been judging me by what had happened to him. In my version of the incident, I was a perfectly decent guy who had merely been misunderstood. In his version, my action revealed my insensitivity.

When we judge ourselves, we put our intentions in the witness box. When we judge others, we put their actions there.

In other words: For ourselves, we say: Judge me by what I meant. For others, se say: Judge them by what they did.

The most uncomfortable truth: Both sides may be partly right. Intention does matter. Remember the bishop in the story of Jeal Valjean in Victor Hugo’s Les Misérables?

Valjean, as a convict, is treated as a dangerous animal by everyone. After his release, the bishop gives him shelter. Valjean steals the bishop’s silverware and is caught by the police. The bishop saves him, however, by telling a lie. The bishop tells the police that he had gifted the silver to the man.

The bishop’s intention matters enormously here. The lie he tells saves the soul of a person.

Actions tell us what happened. Intentions tell us what the action meant. The theft acquired a totally different meaning just because of the bishop’s intention.

I used to tell my students repeatedly to judge a character in their stories by their motives rather than by their actions. Doctor Sadao, in the story titled The Enemy by Pearl S Buck, would be a traitor to his nation if we judged him by his action of saving the life of an enemy soldier and also letting him escape. But when we understand his motive (intention) rooted in deep humanity, the meaning of what he did changes. The meaning of patriotism too changes!

We need to exercise great caution here, however. Intentions do not always excuse actions. Sometimes they condemn them.

I’m tempted to mention what the Chinese government did a six-year-old boy and his family. Back in 1995. The Dalai Lama recognised the boy as the reincarnation of the 10th Panchen Lama. He would be the next Dalai Lama. But the Chinese government wanted their own man to be the next Dalai Lama. So they took the boy and his family into custody. Later, another boy was declared the Panchen Lama. The Dalai Lama’s own choice has never been publicly seen since.

Intentions and motives are quite complicated the moment you enter the political milieu.

Comments

  1. Great! Tomichan. I thought I was back in my Law Classes. " Mens Rea" - the Intention behind the action, if proved to be good, beyond doubt, the accused is acquitted. And, " Audire Alteram Partem. " - Hear the other part/ Part. He or she has the right to be heard. And it is a foundational principle of Natural Justice, which Law upholds tenaciously. Thanks for the autobiographical piece. And I am kept wondering, why this piece, came as a break and a bolt from the blue, your reminiscence as trigger, not withstanding. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually judging anyone becomes a complex task because of the intentions involved. Understanding, more than critical observation, is required for happy coexistence.

      Delete
  2. I like how you explained the difference between intention and action. The story of the bishop and Valjean makes it easy to see how motives can change the meaning of what someone does. A clear and thoughtful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intentions do matter, but they are often invisible. When others look at our actions, they can see only the actions, while our intentions are invisible to them -- exactly like when we look at the actions of others. You cannot see inside someone else's head.

    Judging characters in stories is a different matter, of course, since the author may choose to describe the character's intention, but unfortunately reality doesn't work that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it is easier to understand the motives of fictional characters. We're not given such insights into the intentions of real people around us. If only we could understand them better... As Francois Mauriac says in one story, God is able to endure our world because he understands us!

      Delete
  4. It's tricky. Good intentions should be looked at as such. But bad intentions that turn out good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think intentions do matter. But we cannot get inside someone's head to know what they are thinking. Actions are much clearer, though. Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Tough job trying to understand the intentions of other people.

      Delete
  6. People lie about their intentions all the time, so if I don’t know someone, I will judge by their actions. Of course, it’s often the case that we don’t actually need to judge others, and we should instead look to improve our own behavior…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time, if at all we can know others' intentions that's indirectly only.

      Delete
  7. Hari OM
    While I appreciate your drawing distinction between intention and action... from your opening prompt there is something else to be understood. In an interaction between people, we may say or do something in our own usual fashion, but another, whose life experiences or expectations differ for any amount of reasons, can only receive/perceive (interpret) according to those parameters and may, therefore, feel hurt, insulted, attacked... in that situation you had not placed any 'intention'. You would not seek to have injured the other party, but if that is how they chose to react, then some responsibility in the interaction falls to them. As you say a few lines down, you were in your own head and it is no job of the other to understand that.

    It is somewhat different from the examples given, where the protaganists put thought (intention) into their words or deeds. In other words, intention requires aforethought, because intention also means there is expectation of an outcome. That is generally not the case in our daily interactions and conversations, when we tend to be unguarded. An intention is an aim, purpose, or a plan to do something and it is doubtful that was what was happening in the incident you recall. It served well to provide fodder for one of your mindful posts, though! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yamini, for the detailed comment. I do agree on the difference between doing things with conscious awareness and otherwise. Many of our actions are not performed with such awareness. But in a novel, we can still understand the motive because we know the characters well enough: that's a good writer's job. We know that Hugo's bishop cannot but do what he did to Valjean.

      That way, I am not surprised at what China did to the boy who was to be the future Dalai Lama. We could all expect that too. That was the connection I had in mind. But I know I didn't express it well enough. I wrote this post after a rather sleepless night, you can see the time of its posting.

      Delete
  8. Huh. I've not heard of that story but I am not surprised at all. Crazy how these powerful people operate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Show more